Nitrox Use Only

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BThomp

Reaction score
I have been diving on and off again for the past 14 years. A recent dive up in the adirondacks (NY) has found me buying tanks vice renting for three weeks.

I recently purchased two 95 LP PST tanks from a Norfolk dive shop. I did not notice it at first, but it appears that the burst (sp?)disks have a label, NITROX use only written on them. The tanks were filled with ordinary compressed air. I'm assuming that the Nitrox use only refers to the fact that in order to use these tanks with Nitrox, a burst disk must be made of a suitable material.
Is there any danger using compressed air in these tanks with a Nitrox Only Disk?

Originally posted by BThomp
Is there any danger using compressed air in these tanks with a Nitrox Only Disk?

Nope, they'll be fine.

Tom

for the quick replies. I'm going to dive on a coal car in Blue Mountain Lake, NY state. Should be interesting.

There is no problems with using normal Air in the tanks.
But you are up for a large O2 cleaning bill if you want to take them back to Nitrox.

"But you are up for a large O2 cleaning bill if you want to take them back to Nitrox".

Not Nessesaruly.
We are a small shop.
We fill our scuba tanks with the same hyper clean air, that we partial pressure fill Nitrox tanks with.
If you know your source of air supply is clean for Nitrox use, you don't have to reclean for Nitrox.

Mike D

Originally posted by mddolson
If you know your source of air supply is clean for Nitrox use, you don't have to reclean for Nitrox.

He bought the tanks used. 'nuff said :)

But to touch on the expensive part... how much does it really cost? My LDS said $25 providing the tanks don't need tumbling...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom