Nitrox & Poseidon Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czjack

Reaction score
Looking to take a Nitrox course. I have a Poseidon Jetstream w/ Jetstream Octo. Is this going to work w/ Nitrox mixes or do I have to get it serviced and tweaked? I've had about 30 dives on air w/ my reg.

On another note, why is it regulators can't handle some nitrox mixes?

Most regs can handle up to 40% o2. Did you get any manual will that reg, if so there should be some mention in it.

czjack:
Looking to take a Nitrox course. I have a Poseidon Jetstream w/ Jetstream Octo. Is this going to work w/ Nitrox mixes or do I have to get it serviced and tweaked? I've had about 30 dives on air w/ my reg.

As previously mentioned, your reg will handle 40% oxygen. In fact, I think all regs made today will withstand 40%. It has less to do with what they are built for and more for what they are NOT built for. Oxygen causes certain problems that get worse as it's concentration rises. Oxygen is corrosive to certain materials. Also, Oxygen is highly flammable and can explode when exposed to materials that oxidate radidly. This means that the wrong kind of lube used on an o-ring could cause an explosion if you were using, say, 80% O2. The nitrox class will expose you to concepts such as partial pressure blending. In essence, your reg should never be exposed to any thing other than the final mix in a tank. As this shouldn't exceed 40% and as your reg will work fine at 40%, you don't need any extra preparation.

As mentioned in another thread be careful if your reg has been serviced since it has come out of the box. If it has some places regularly use silicone as their lubricant for reg service thus disqualifying you from nitrox use. I would either have it serviced, wait for another service or ask what they used in the previous service.

yknot:
Also, Oxygen is highly flammable
No it is not...

Oxygen is not flamible at all.. Oxygen is an oxidizer.. It allows other materials to burn much easier..

Yes oxygen does help other things burn and combined with a lower ignition temperature and its tendency to heat things up.

czjack:

no worries mate,they good for at least 40% :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom