Nitrox compatible small/home compressor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javik

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone make a compressor that is compatible with nitrox tanks but is small, can run from 115/230v or small engine power, and affordable for personal use?

The goal here is NOT to do air blending at home, but merely to fill the nitrox tanks with regular atmospheric air when it is not possible to access professional nitrox/trimix blending services.

As I have been told, a standard compressor / air storage can't be used because of the risk of contamination with oils that could cause fire or explosion when the nitrox tank is first filled with pure compressed oxygen.

Though it seems it should not be that complicated to merely use the proper compatible pump oils and gasket materials in a standard non-nitrox scuba air compressor, when it is new, dry, clean, and just been assembled in manufacturing.

ummmm.... adding a hyper filter gives you the chance of OCA (oxygen compatible air). My 1962 Mako/Bauer produces grade D/E. Likely OCA....

Also a RIX (oil-less) could be a solution

YMMV

look for a EN12021 rated compressor. the standard is more stringent than grade E for residual hydrocarbon and is oxygen compatible.

oh my. alright here we go @Javik

any compressor can be made to produce O2 clean air for nitrox use, just needs enough filtration. Rix will do it on its own because it is oil-less, but after that there really isn't much of a difference between any of them.
As far as what runs off of 110v, that is basically a Rix or a Kidde since they are the only ones that can be slowed down to the 1-1.5cfm it takes to not trip a normal wall outlet. Up to about 5-6cfm will run off of a standard dryer outlet. The key with any of them is getting sufficient filtration.
That said, I would just as soon recommend building a nitrox stick since there's no point in paying to get nitrox and only doing air topoffs at home IMO. Oxygen is cheap, so is buying an O2 tank....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom