Nitrox Cert in Boston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTJB

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My spouse and I are looking to get our nitrox certification. We are Padi AOW certified and would like to get the nitrox cert done in this month before a dive trip next month. Any recommendations on how to do this in or around Boston? Recommendations would be very welcome. Thanks!

My go to recommendation in the city itself would be Boston Scuba. You can do the online training and then complete it in person at the shop. They are located in East Boston in the East Boston Shipyard and are close to the T if that’s important to you.

If they can’t do it, East Coast Divers in Brookline can also do it. I’m not sure how they run their Nitrox classes though.

If either of them can’t do it, feel free to PM me and I can recommend a few private instructors that should be able to help you out no problem.

Next closest would probably be Mass diving in Natick. I'm not sure about going north but going south there isn't much for shops until you hit the Cape or RI

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll give them all a ring!

My go to recommendation in the city itself would be Boston Scuba. You can do the online training and then complete it in person at the shop. They are located in East Boston in the East Boston Shipyard and are close to the T if that’s important to you.

If they can’t do it, East Coast Divers in Brookline can also do it. I’m not sure how they run their Nitrox classes though.

If either of them can’t do it, feel free to PM me and I can recommend a few private instructors that should be able to help you out no problem.

Thank you. I will send you a PM if neither of those places can do it. Is it pretty typical pricing with Boston Scuba? I think it's $180 for the PADI online course + $70 for the hands-on portion with Boston Scuba.

Thank you. I will send you a PM if neither of those places can do it. Is it pretty typical pricing with Boston Scuba? I think it's $180 for the PADI online course + $70 for the hands-on portion with Boston Scuba.

I'm curious as to how they do the hands on, they don't do nitrox fills

Hi formernuke,

That is a good question.

Does learning to analyze Nitrox require a higher percentage of O² than 21%? Dunno.

...before a dive trip next month.

Hi NTJB,

As a worst case scenario, could you do the online work in Boston (in your own living room) and then get the hands-on training at your dive vacation destination?

I am glad you and your wife are getting EANx training. NItrox is wonderful for repetitive recreational diving while on vacations. @Wookie has written several times that on his former dive boat DV Spree, chamber rides went to zero when he required all divers to use EANx.

Please understand CNS fully. It is an easy problem to avoid, but a very serious issue if you or your wife suffer a CNS hit.

:cheers:
markmudgett

Does learning to analyze Nitrox require a higher percentage of O² than 21%? Dunno.

I don't know the teaching standard as I did mine 11 years ago and I'm not an instructor. When I did mine and what I've seen the hands on is calibrate the meter and then correctly analyze 2 tanks of different blends. Pretty easy takes about 5 mins.

That dawned on me last night.

Hi formernuke,

That is a good question.

Does learning to analyze Nitrox require a higher percentage of O² than 21%? Dunno.:cheers:
markmudgett

No in fact the tester is calibrated @ 21% before use. I have my trained chimp test my tanks. :wink:

I just checked and East Coast Divers charges $200 but I believe they don’t schedule that on demand and it’s a full evening class.

While they don’t really fill nitrox at the shop, they do have oxygen and can partial pressure blend as needed.

Back
Top Bottom