Nitrox band (label)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to make my own nitrox band for my tank, but I'm not sure what kind of material I should print the label onto. Thoughts?

Nitrox.png

first off, nitrox is not nitrous oxide. nitrous oxide is n2o and is a separate molecule.

second, don't put labels on your tanks unless your dive shop requires it.

third, if you're going to do it anyway, the labels are usually made with vinyl to be waterproof. They also don't print on normal printers, so you'll need a dedicated label maker to have it work

Shirley "nitrous oxide" is meant to be a joke. Like those I have seen that say "Voodoo Gas."

I have a good dentist. He was going to go into the priesthood or teaching, but his mother thought dentistry would be better, and he likes it pretty well. We were chatting about diving and he said that nitrous oxide would lessen my anxiety, and if I let him watch me dive, he'd sell me some. So I'm hoping this all works out.

As far as stickers, I only put them on the rusty parts of my cylinder, to keep water away from them so the rust doesn't spread. I was going to put a DAN sticker on today, but if that would be bad, I won't do it. It's unlikely I'll ever need that number, anyway.

Some of that vinyl sticker paper online that's supposedly waterproof might do me, instead of an expensive printer. I spent enough on the nitrous adaptor.

I'm trying to make my own nitrox band for my tank, but I'm not sure what kind of material I should print the label onto. Thoughts?

View attachment 523678
Assuming the question is on the up and up, I would not suggest getting too clever on your label. I would never incorrectly label the contents of a cylinder for obvious safety reasons, and would also expect some push back from VIP inspections and hydro testers regarding the mislabeling. Hydro testers take there DOT training and responsibilities pretty seriously. You may be removing the label to get it serviced.

Are they supposed to be doing that in the first place?
Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if the testers are supposed to remove labels?
I think the answer to that is "at least sometimes, yes." A label can obscure pits and imperfections that need to be examined and evaluated as part of the inspection process. My hydro tester must have recently taken a training from someone new, as they not only want all boots, valves, and labels removed from the cylinder before testing, they have even started to scrape off my rental tank numbers that are applied with "scuba goop."

But my point was that aside from those typical potential issues, don't expect folks to treat a cylinder as either air or nitrox filled based on your say so after having labelled it as containing something else.

Not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if the testers are supposed to remove labels?
I think the answer to that is "at least sometimes, yes." A label can obscure pits and imperfections that need to be examined and evaluated as part of the inspection process. My hydro tester must have recently taken a training from someone new, as they not only want all boots, valves, and labels removed from the cylinder before testing, they have even started to scrape off my rental tank numbers that are applied with "scuba goop."

Simply that my understanding is that all labels and stickers are supposed to come off during hydros and visuals.

Back
Top Bottom