Nitrox at Utah Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pauldw

Contributor
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, a few days ago I sent emails or web form requests to each Utah dive shop or pseudo dive shop found online, to look into whether they partial pressure blend EAN 32 nitrox or bank EAN 32 nitrox, 32% being probably the most common nitrox mix. Partial pressure blending, in which some 100% oxygen is put into a cylinder and then air is mixed in so that the desired final nitrox mix is reached, is cheaper for the dive shop, but requires the diver to have an oxygen serviced tank due to fire hazard. Banked, in which a particular nitrox mix is created in advance and then dispensed directly into cylinders when they are brought in for filling, does not necessarily require a diver to have an oxygen serviced cylinder, and can be quicker. It is possible that a shop with banked nitrox is operating overall on a little more sophisticated level than one that blends, but I don’t know that for sure. At any rate, Dive Utah in Salt Lake (Holladay) said they bank something in the 32-34% range (which seems oddly amorphous) but cylinders still have to be left there for filling. Surprisingly, given that it’s a fancy tech-oriented shop, Dive Addicts doesn’t bank, they just blend. The rest either blend, or don’t fill nitrox at all, although some of them are still good dive shops—blending is quite common in the industry, I believe. Complete results are below. A question mark means there was no response; some of those shops might not exist. It didn’t occur to me at the time to make sure these shops will also do EAN 21.

After sending out this query, it occurred to me to also ask whether these shops can fill HP tanks to 3442 psi on either nitrox if they have that, or air, so I followed up with that question and found that most responding shops say they can fill to 3442 psi, although Dive Utah says they go to about 3200.

Absolute Scuba, in Tooele: ?

Access Scuba, in St. George: No nitrox

Adventure West Scuba, in Ogden: ?

Aqua Sports, in St. George: ?

Bonneville Seabase, in Grantsville: Banks nitrox to around 32%, appointment needed

Cache Valley Divers, in Logan: ?

Caribbean Dreaming Scuba, in Park City: No nitrox

Dive Addicts, in Salt Lake: Blends nitrox

Dive Utah, in Salt Lake: Banks nitrox between 32-34% (need to leave the cylinder)

Dive Utah, in Ogden: Can often fill 32% while you wait

Dixie Divers, in St. George: Blends nitrox (may have a nitrox bank at Sand Hollow)

Neptune Divers, in Salt Lake: No nitrox

North American Divers, in Orem: ?

Scuba Utah, in Salt Lake: ?

The Crater, in Midway: No nitrox

The Dive Shop, in Bountiful: Blends nitrox

Underwater Dynamics, in Orem: Blends nitrox

I wonder how much of that the local market drives? As in how much local diving is where Nitrox will be justified?
Yes, there is the class for those who travel, but how many places are in diving areas where regular use would be justified? It's not like you travel far with filled Nitrox tanks.

Back
Top Bottom