Nitrox and other academic lessons online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a thread in the Instructor to Instructor forum earlier this spring that asked instructors who had experience with eLearning to report on that experience. Not all of you will be able to access it because it is a closed forum, but for those that can, here it is:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/instructor-instructor/279176-padi-elearning-experience.html

For those who can't access it, I will summarize the results here:

• 13 different instructors reported very positive results.
  • 2 different instructors gave somewhat mixed reviews. Both said that students had learned their stuff. One said that one student thought he would get more classroom time (but had still learned his stuff), and another said that some of the students had to be pushed to keep at it while they were working (but still learned their stuff).
  • There were no middle of the road or negative reports.

Nitrox online makes sense because there are almost no new psychomotor skills. I got mine online and the course was fine.

Adam

I'll go further and suggest that recreational Nitrox is frankly a silly course idea to begin with -- the differences between diving on Nitrox and air at recreational depths comes down to using different tables. The amount of filler PADI has to put into the 'text book' to actually make it longer than three paragraphs is amusing as can be.

It certainly isn't the tables that makes it different

... in recreational diving there is a bottom but your not going to die just by exceeding it
Nitrox on the other hand, you can, and even if you only exceed it by a little bit

so this has been a really good read and all.. but my local dive shop has cancelled the last two nitrox classes, kind of a pain when you are scheduling around kids, work, etc, the internet doesnt cancel much, does anyone konw when will this training be online? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom