Nitrox adapted equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sue

Reaction score
I'm about to take the Nitrox certification and I would like to know if I need to make any changes to my BCD (TUSA IMPREX PRO) or regulator (POSEIDON TRITON).

I've read somewhere, that if your not diving with 40% or plus oxygen mixes, there's no need, but I've also read that some BCD manufacturers (TUSA inclusive) don't agree with this.

Can somebody give me a hint about this subject?

Cheers

Sue

Your course should answer your questions...
Most manufacturers include some caveat on equipment that comes in contact with the breathing gas that only air can be used or the warranty is void - it's a cop-out, a sop to their insurance company, which has no basis in fact for recreational Nitrox mixes. Nevertheless, using Nitrox voids lots of warranties.
The short answer is that no, you don't need to modify your reg or your BC.
There are exceptions - some have to do with the mix, some have to do with the method of mixing, some have to do with local regulations, and some have to do with the training agency you choose.
Back to the short answer - take the course first; you'll most likely find the answer for you is no mods necessary, but you may void a warranty or two.
Rick

Rick

Thanks anyway for your reply.

My instructor just called to cancel the course due the fact that some people have given up (first class was supposed to start tonight).

As I'm leaving for Akumal/Playa del Carmen next week, I thought I would be able to take it there (Akumal Diving shop gives a TDI certification in two days, including two Nitrox dives). Do you think it's wise to do it there?

Sue

Yes, I think Akumal is a great place for training. Some of the *world's* best instructors are in Akumal, due to the extensive cave diving there.
Go for it.
Rick

The short answer your question is no provided O2 < 40%. For concentrations greater than 40% clean your gear. This isn't as intimidating as it sounds(see NOAA Diving Manual 4th Ed. p. 15-18, 15-19 especially the section on "informal" O2 cleaning. If informal cleaning is good enough for NOAA its good enough for me.) If this is something you don't feel comfortable doing now, you should, if possible, try to "look over the shoulder" of the tech doing the cleaning and have him explain what he is doing. I am firm believer in the idea that a diver should know his gear as throughly as possible and maintain it his or herselves as much as possible and to the highest degree possible. There isn't a repair tech out there that cares as much as you do about the proper functioning of your regs. :wink:

Sam

Hi Sue,

as a nitrox instructor, the answer depend on whos course are you taking.
If your nitrox course is given by TDI, IANTD, or other recreational divinng federations (PADI, SSI, NAUI etc') than the answer is no since they don't certify you on the basic level to dive with more than 40% O2.
All this changes if you want to take an ANDI course since ANDI's cert' is for SafeAir (ANDI's standards for Nitrox) you will have to oxygen service your regulator in order to use nitrox from an ANDI center.
Now these are standards - in my opinion you shoud service your gear since oxigen is flamable although most tests done have found falioure to explode. I would also recommand for you to take your Nitrox from an ANDI center just because their high standards which assure you the cleanest mix.
By the way there's no need to adjust your BC since it's never exposed to high pressure only intermediate pressure!!!
GOOD LUCK
Danny

If I'm able to take the course in Akumal next week, it will be a TDI certification. The instructor told me that even if it is not necessary to have my regulators clean, it is recommended. So I believe that they will teach me (or I'll "look over the shoulder" when they do it, as Sam suggested.

Anyway thanks for your advice

Sue

Back
Top Bottom