Nitrox 32 and 36

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shurite7

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone know why NOAA chose to use the blends of EAN32 and EAN36 (NOAA I and NOAA II)? I am well aware as to why the recreational community uses the two blends (NOAA had published tables for 32% and 36%), but want I want to know is why were the two blends chosen instead of other mixes such as 31% and 41%?

If you do not know the answer please refrain from typing speculated answers. I do not want to read through multiple blocks of speculated responses based off of guessing or conjecturing. If you know why, enlighten us. This issue has plagued me for quite some time. Everyone I've asked doesn't know the answer. I've come across many people who are happy to provide answers based off of what they think they know, yet they have no clue.

If this post remains answered because no one knows, so be it, so long as the speculatory responses remain absent from this thread. Hopefully someone knows.

I think the rationale was explained in my NAUI books....

Maybe here: Mastro, SJ (1989). "Use of two primary breathing mixtures for enriched air diving operations". In: Lang, MA; Jaap, WC (ed). Diving for Science…1989. Proceedings of the American Academy of Underwater Sciences annual scientific diving symposium 28 September - 1 October 1989 Wood Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, Massachusetts, USA. Retrieved 2013-05-16.
Bingo! Perfect response. No speculation, no ambiguity. Well done, @rhwestfall!

This is exactly how the selection of 32 and 36 was described to me by the NOAA guys.

Is Thal still around?

I haven't seen Thal post a lot for a while, but I did run across a post of his about a month ago.

Bob

Now that you have your serious and solid answer, are we allowed to speculate for our amusement? For example: 1)Average shipwreck depths reachable on these Nitrox %. 2)These Nitrox % make the math easy, instead of odd numbers, 3) Just picked his wife’s measurements, and it worked out so well!

Now that you have your serious and solid answer, are we allowed to speculate for our amusement? For example: 1)Average shipwreck depths reachable on these Nitrox %. 2)These Nitrox % make the math easy, instead of odd numbers, 3) Just picked his wife’s measurements, and it worked out so well!

I was hoping for a poem …

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom