Nitek He possible issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meister481

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've got a problem I want to let others know about, it seems that if you have a Nitek He and use the large plastic protector cover you could end up getting hurt, or worse.

I was diving little river the first time I noticed that the depth displayed on one of the 2 units I was using was wrong, by like 6 feet. This is enough of a problem that if I had a deco obligation I might end up toxing due to trying to deco with O2 at 26'. I chalked it up to a freak of nature since the computer that showed an improper depth wasn't mine. The next time I noticed it was at a quarry very well known to me, the unit that is mine was not displaying any depth info and I noticed a bubble where one of the water contacts was. I shook it out and it started working but the depth started at zero, when I was about 18' down. I guess the unit starts at zero whenever the contacts activate. This could get someone hurt, so please be cautious when using the plastic cover with your Nitek He, or do as I do and pull the cover off when I go dive.

I normally have a D9 as a redundant computer, but it got hijacked by a friend and I doubt I'll ever see it again.

My wife dove with her He for 3 weeks straight in Mexico without an issue with the cover on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom