Ningaloo 09 Sept...futzing around with some WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Tried a friend's Sigma 17-70 out on yesterday's dives. It's a nice lens - focusses down almost onto my dome port so that's nice. Quite a shock to my system to have to get my head into wide angle mode though!

Mostly I tinkered with settings and various focal lengths and lighting (way different than macro and quite challenging with a single strobe!).

The fish life was fantastic again. Schools just covered the reef and there were lots of big cod (grouper :wink: ) about.

codschool3.jpg

We had more free-swimming goatfish in mid water than I remember ever seeing before. It was very cool. They were too unorganized for me to patiently wait til I could see all their faces, so I didn't spend as much time with them as I should have - I wanted to get to a particular spot on the site to "test" the new lens. Hopefully they will be there again and I will spend some time waiting for the right moment.

As I was waiting impatiently, one or two goats would swim over to a small group of bannerfish and kind of hang out with them. Happily this little grouping staggered themselves in the short time I was willing to wait :)

bannergoat1.jpg

good thing you said grouper.... i would have thought you had moved to Newfoundland... snicker...

very cool shot, like the lens?

Mike Veitch:
very cool shot, like the lens?
alcina:
Tried a friend's Sigma 17-70 out on yesterday's dives.
:11: Too much nitrogen or not enough? :D

Good to hear...I wish I had that problem :D

Some of our resident threadfin pearl perch decided to be cooperative for a bit and so I played around:

36mm from what I thought was a good distance (I know, I know, needs to have a little tweaking done in PS, but...)

threadslite.jpg

36mm from closer - the golden rule, closer is better! Just coz you have a zoom doesn't mean you should use it :wink:

threads2.jpg

Great shots Alcina, great variety in your fish life there.
The threadfin pearl perch are a new one to me but I love them, almost remind me of horseye Jack.

I prefer the second shot of the threadfin pearl perch as it's more cropped I suppose.

Was there current on that dive? I'm curious because i've only seen fish hang out like that together when they're trying to find a spot to hang out in :).

Jamdiver:
I prefer the second shot of the threadfin pearl perch as it's more cropped I suppose.

Was there current on that dive? I'm curious because i've only seen fish hang out like that together when they're trying to find a spot to hang out in :).

No cropping, all full frame. I agree that I, and I think probably most others, prefer the closer images rather than larger WA stuff - I find that it's sometimes hard to switch my brain underwater to "see" real WA! But it could also be because I love to get close and love the little stuff :)

Nope, no current to speak of. We get great groups of fish on most of the dive sites here...they wander a little bit, but are pretty reliable. Not always cooperative, but there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom