Nikon Z7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BluewaterPhoto

Bluewater Photo & Travel
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
What does everyone think about the Nikon Z7 compared to other high end mirrorless cameras? We just had the chance to take the Z7 down to La Paz and and we loved the results we got with the Isotta housing!

Check out this review:
Why the Nikon Z7 is My New Favorite Underwater Camera

Nice review. In the long run, I can't see DSLRs surviving. Reflex cameras were brilliant on film cameras so the photographer could view the same image that will hit the film (after the mirror swings out of the way). Digital is a little different. Would the photographer prefer seeing the image that comes through the lens or do they want to see how the image sensor converts to pixels?

As the image quality of EVFs (Electronic ViewFinder) improve, the justification for reflex mechanisms diminish. There are a lot of advantages to the optics engineer by eliminating the space required for reflex mechanisms.

I’ve been shooting underwater with the Z7 since feb and it has served me well. I don’t have much to compare with as it’s the first underwater camera I have used (heck it’s the first actual camera I have ever bought) and I haven’t really been shooting video, but the macro colour range with keldans and the high MP has served me well ( I was shortlisted for dive magazine photographer of the year _ *brag*brag*)

it’s definatley the higher end of the price-point and I had some serious issues getting nauticam TTL trigger to work with sea & sea YS-D2Js to the extent that I gave up...

that being said, you can’t ignore the 4K raw video option is a game changer.. that will probably be the edge over the other high end Nikons..and will mean the canons are maybe sweating..but I honestly have to say that, In my hands it’s unlikely that I’m making the difference to justify the price point... I want to hear it from unbiased pros..

the firmware upgrade has helped with autofocus and I’m looking forward to taking it to Red Sea/Galapagos and gods pocket next year..I certainly have never felt ‘I with I had bought xxxx instead’.. I honestly feel the only limitations are my capabilities..it makes me want to get out there and shoot with it..I’d perhaps like to find more people shooting with it for collaboration/advice..in feb I couldn’t find anyone else who had taken it underwater in forums other than the Nauticam guys who designed the housing :)

So far, the lens selection is limited. No decent wide angle zoom or fisheye. And nothing that will compare to the curreint 105mm for macro. I'd like the camera to hold two memory cards as well. Time will tell how this new Nikon fares against the competition. But Nikon certainly has made it known they see a real future in top end mirrorless cameras.

The f 8-15 is pretty decent fisheye to be honest...and I used the 105mm for my shortlisted award shot.. it was pretty much perfect..

I’d argue that both are spot on with the Z7 and tick the wide angle/fisheye and macro box..

‘I use the 60mm with the Nauticam MWL-1 though...the 105m. Isn’t compatible with the MWL-1 but you can get some. Interesting abstract shots with it..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom