Nikon D850 vs Canon 5D M4??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Squalo305

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
so I need to get some advice. Which camera is better for underwater photography? I am not that interested in the video difference between this two cameras, just stills. I want to get an answer focused on which camera will be a better choice for underwater photography wide amgle - macro, better coloring, big prints.
Thank you!!

so I need to get some advice. Which camera is better for underwater photography? I am not that interested in the video difference between this two cameras, just stills. I want to get an answer focused on which camera will be a better choice for underwater photography wide amgle - macro, better coloring, big prints.
Thank you!!
Both of these are outstanding pro level cameras, and an experienced photographer would likely be very happy with either of these. By the time a photographer is looking at one of these cameras, they have likely already built up a collection of Nikon or Canon lenses and accessories and are pretty much committed to one brand or the other. Another camera to consider in the same price range and with similar features would be the Sony A7Riii.

OK, now that I have said that, I have to ask, what is your experience level? I can not in good conscience recommend either of these cameras to someone who is just beginning underwater photography. They would be overkill and there are cameras which are much better suited to learning how to do underwater photography.

Given that it appears that you have 50-99 dives, if you want to get into underwater photography, here is my sincere advice. Before you start doing photography, make sure that you are a good diver. Make sure that you have your buoyancy perfected. Assuming that you have mastered that, I would recommend starting off with a simpler (yet very good) system. I think that something like a Sony A6500 in either a FantaSea, Nauticam, or Aquatica housing with a pair of Inon S2000 strobes would be a very good system to learn with. It will give you the capability to shoot RAW, it will be a camera that has a 20mp+ sensor and 5 axis in camera stabilization. The selection of lenses that are compatible with the Sony A6xxx series of cameras has been a draw back in the past, but there are some exceptional lenses out there today for both macro and wide angle.

Another camera that has the capability to give you outstanding images would be the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. It is a Micro Four Thirds camera and so it has a smaller sensor than either of the two cameras that you asked about, but M4/3 is a very good form factor underwater and it has a huge selection of available lenses including an remarkable 60mm macro and a wonderful 8mm fisheye.

Both the Nikon D850 and the Canon 5DM4 are exceptional cameras, but unless you already have the experience to exploit their capabilities, I think that you could become extremely frustrated trying to master them.

Both of these are outstanding pro level cameras, and an experienced photographer would likely be very happy with either of these. By the time a photographer is looking at one of these cameras, they have likely already built up a collection of Nikon or Canon lenses and accessories and are pretty much committed to one brand or the other. Another camera to consider in the same price range and with similar features would be the Sony A7Riii.

OK, now that I have said that, I have to ask, what is your experience level? I can not in good conscience recommend either of these cameras to someone who is just beginning underwater photography. They would be overkill and there are cameras which are much better suited to learning how to do underwater photography.

Given that it appears that you have 50-99 dives, if you want to get into underwater photography, here is my sincere advice. Before you start doing photography, make sure that you are a good diver. Make sure that you have your buoyancy perfected. Assuming that you have mastered that, I would recommend starting off with a simpler (yet very good) system. I think that something like a Sony A6500 in either a FantaSea, Nauticam, or Aquatica housing with a pair of Inon S2000 strobes would be a very good system to learn with. It will give you the capability to shoot RAW, it will be a camera that has a 20mp+ sensor and 5 axis in camera stabilization. The selection of lenses that are compatible with the Sony A6xxx series of cameras has been a draw back in the past, but there are some exceptional lenses out there today for both macro and wide angle.

Another camera that has the capability to give you outstanding images would be the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II. It is a Micro Four Thirds camera and so it has a smaller sensor than either of the two cameras that you asked about, but M4/3 is a very good form factor underwater and it has a huge selection of available lenses including an remarkable 60mm macro and a wonderful 8mm fisheye.

Both the Nikon D850 and the Canon 5DM4 are exceptional cameras, but unless you already have the experience to exploit their capabilities, I think that you could become extremely frustrated trying to master them.

Thank you very much for your response and advice. I have those logged dives, but I have more experience, i have great buoyancy I fell very comfortable in the water I have been using a Canon 5D M2 for some time out of the water and a couple of dives I have used an ikelite housing with it, I want to get a new equipment and thinking about upgrading it to one of those new models, But just wanted to know wich one could be a better option. I use canon but that nikon d850 for the same price I dont know if it offers more. I am not a professional photographer just like to take good pictures when I dive and I like big animals as well as macro. I also checked something about the sony a7riii but is that camera as good as the other two? Thank you very much for helping me!

Thank you very much for your response and advice. I have those logged dives, but I have more experience, i have great buoyancy I fell very comfortable in the water I have been using a Canon 5D M2 for some time out of the water and a couple of dives I have used an ikelite housing with it, I want to get a new equipment and thinking about upgrading it to one of those new models, But just wanted to know wich one could be a better option. I use canon but that nikon d850 for the same price I dont know if it offers more. I am not a professional photographer just like to take good pictures when I dive and I like big animals as well as macro. I also checked something about the sony a7riii but is that camera as good as the other two? Thank you very much for helping me!
If you already have a 5D M2, I would get a housing for it and a couple good lenses. It is a camera that will give you everything that you need. For wide angle, it is really hard to beat the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens. Canon makes two outstanding macro lenses. They make a 60mm and a 100mm macro lens. With a full frame camera such as the 5D, I would probably opt for the 100mm.

Underwater photography is a lot different than photography above the surface. The water will make colours fade and suspended particulate will make life very frustrating.

Keep your 5DM2 and get a housing with good ergonomics. Nauticam and Aquatica housings are known for their outstanding ergos. Every button is right where you want it to be. Also, invest in some good strobes. Light will start to lose some colours unless you are very close to your subject. Reds will be lost by 10 feet depth and if you are more that about 4 feet away from your subject.

Once you gain some experience, if you still feel that the 5D M2 isn't giving you what you need, then (and only then) would I consider upgrading.

If you already have a 5D M2, I would get a housing for it and a couple good lenses. It is a camera that will give you everything that you need. For wide angle, it is really hard to beat the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye lens. Canon makes two outstanding macro lenses. They make a 60mm and a 100mm macro lens. With a full frame camera such as the 5D, I would probably opt for the 100mm.

Underwater photography is a lot different than photography above the surface. The water will make colours fade and suspended particulate will make life very frustrating.

Keep your 5DM2 and get a housing with good ergonomics. Nauticam and Aquatica housings are known for their outstanding ergos. Every button is right where you want it to be. Also, invest in some good strobes. Light will start to lose some colours unless you are very close to your subject. Reds will be lost by 10 feet depth and if you are more that about 4 feet away from your subject.

Once you gain some experience, if you still feel that the 5D M2 isn't giving you what you need, then (and only then) would I consider upgrading.

Ok that is interesting, the issue I am facing with is that nauticam or the other good brands of housings are not producing new housings for 5DM2 its a model that was realeased a long time ago and with two generations on top is difficult to find a good new one for it. So that is actually why I was opting for upgrading for the next gen to get the new housing models. Am I right or what to do? I really appreciate your advice. Also I was looking into sea and sea strobes.

Also Once you get into one of those housing you will alwas use their ports even if you change housing so you get married to it, so I would like a housing like nauticam it looks built with great quality and the way it locks seems safer for the camera. But they dont make the mark 2 anymore, what to do?

Ok that is interesting, the issue I am facing with is that nauticam or the other good brands of housings are not producing new housings for 5DM2 its a model that was realeased a long time ago and with two generations on top is difficult to find a good new one for it. So that is actually why I was opting for upgrading for the next gen to get the new housing models. Am I right or what to do? I really appreciate your advice. Also I was looking into sea and sea strobes.
It appears that the Nauticam housing is no longer being made for the 5DM2. There still might be some old stock available. My recommendation would be to contact Ran or Tal at Mozaik Underwater and see if they can get one. The Aquatica housing for the 5DM2 is apparently still available. Once you commit to a housing manufacturer, you are also committing to their line of ports as well so that is another factor to keep in mind when buying a housing. You are not just buying a housing, but you are buying a housing system.

Thank You very much for your help Hoag !! Ill try to find that nauticam housing for my camera and that fish eye lens seems like a great choice!!

It appears that the Nauticam housing is no longer being made for the 5DM2. There still might be some old stock available. My recommendation would be to contact Ran or Tal at Mozaik Underwater and see if they can get one. The Aquatica housing for the 5DM2 is apparently still available. Once you commit to a housing manufacturer, you are also committing to their line of ports as well so that is another factor to keep in mind when buying a housing. You are not just buying a housing, but you are buying a housing system.

Just talked to two stores and apparently nauticam didnt make a housing for my camera and they dont have anything available only ikelite. That my main issue here I need to upgrade the camera to get one of the better housing for it and commit to that brand. so if I have to change my camera to get the nauticam will it be a better choice to go for the d850 or 5dm4. LOL we are back to square one.

What is your intended use? Will you be earning your living as an underwater photographer?

If not, I would go a different direction. If it were me, I would go with:
Sony A6500 camera
Sony 10-18mm wide angle lens
Zeiss 50mm macro lens
Nauticam NA-A6500 housing or Fantasea A6500 housing
Dome port for wide angle lens
Flat Port for macro lens
2 x Sea & Sea strobes

This set up will be an incredibly capable setup and will give you everything you are likely to need once you add a tray & arms. It will also be much easier to travel with than a setup for a DSLR. It would also probably be a good idea to get a vacuum valve for your housing no matter which brand you go for.

If I had to choose between the two you mentioned, and I already had a Canon 5DM2, then I would go with the 5DM4 because it will have a lot in common with your current camera and the learning curve will be easier.

Back
Top Bottom