Nikon D70 vs S&S DX-8000 ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gvarley

Reaction score
Perhaps someone with more expertise can give me some advice.

I was going to purchase the Sea & Sea DX-8000 digital camera, but recently saw a housing for the Nikon D70 which I own. Does anyone have thought on getting a housing for my big Nikon camera or buying the smaller Sea & Sea? Shutter speed is important to me (which I hate with digital cameras), but both of these have excellent shutter speeds.

Thanks for any advice. . .

The D70 and the Sea and Sea cameras are like chocolate and asparagus :wink: Both are good but each very different.

The D70 is far superior for control and quality but you will pay far more for housings, ports, lenses, strobes, synch cords etc.

It's going to come down to your budget and your goals for underwater photography. The Sea & Sea might be the way to go if you aren't sure this is something you are willing to drop 1000's $$ on or if you only get to shoot UW a few times a year.

FWIW there are many options other than the Sea & Sea, too :)

I agree with Alcina up to a point. The D70 is in a higher class than the DX-8000. If you are willing to sinlk the $$$$, that is the best route (if you are serious about u/w photography). If you just want some mediocre snapshots or don't want to sink the bucks....get the 8000. Of course this is MHO. You can get a Ikelite housing, a flat port and a DS-50 strobe for around $2K. With a 60mm f2.8 lens you can shoot from macro up to half of a divers body. It is fast focusing and very sharp lens.

HTH,
Dave

I think it all depends on how many dives you do a year, what your budget is and your experience level as well. It's easy to get swept up in the excitement of taking photos while you are diving but you should look at the big picture before you spend a lot of cash.
To answer your question, if it was me and I dive a lot, it would be housing your D70.

I shoot a D70 and I agree with most of what was said, but I disagree that all you will get is mediocre shots from the 8000. I have seen some fabulous shots with this camera and other compacts. And other than money spent, you can also save space packing a compact. Also much less cumbersome to dive with.

Also! The Ike housing for the D70 weighs *a ton*. I'm talking nearly 15 pounds with the camera, housing, a 28/200 lens, and two strobes (tho you really don't need two probably). It's extra weight in your luggage you're going to have to plan for. I hear the Aquatica housings are lighter, but they're also twice as expensive.

On the upside, the thing is totally fine underwater (the air inside makes it near neutrally buoyant), and I have gotten some incredibly good pictures with it.

I was just talking to a pro last week who has a Nikon D2X and an Aquatica housing. Talk about mouth watering. But it'd be nearly the price of a used car! Whoa!

likelite:
Also! The Ike housing for the D70 weighs *a ton*. I'm talking nearly 15 pounds with the camera, housing, a 28/200 lens, and two strobes (tho you really don't need two probably). It's extra weight in your luggage you're going to have to plan for. I hear the Aquatica housings are lighter, but they're also twice as expensive.

On the upside, the thing is totally fine underwater (the air inside makes it near neutrally buoyant), and I have gotten some incredibly good pictures with it.

I was just talking to a pro last week who has a Nikon D2X and an Aquatica housing. Talk about mouth watering. But it'd be nearly the price of a used car! Whoa!

Aquatica is not "twice as expensive". More like 40% more, but you get what you pay for. I found this out the hard way. The Aquatica is woth the $550 more, at least in MHO. I currently have an Ike D-70 housing, but will be going back to Aquatica to house my D200.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom