Nikon D50 budget housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

desert diver paul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to start doing more underwater than just pointing my gopro in the right general direction! I have a Nikon D50 that I use, I know it's not the most modern or poshest of DSLRs, but it's served me well for a few years now above the water.

I have been looking at underwater housings, and WOW they cost proper money don't they! So basically, what I'm asking is can anyone recommend a housing that won't break the bank, or am I going to be better off going down a different route, maybe getting a package deal somewhere?

Housings cost more than the cameras. Also, you no only need the housing, you need the ports too. It is probably better to get a used housing that is no longer state of the art and buy it at a discount. The person selling the housing might actually sell the matching DSLR body with it. If not, decent used DSLR bodies can be purchased from Adorama or B&H Photo Video. Even so, it is probably not going to be cheap.

Ikelite housings are best value used most of the time but it is easier to buy a matched housing and camera. You should be able to get s 10megapixel slr and housing for $800-$1000 depending on whst is included, then budget $200-$500 for each strobe.

And fish don't buy their portraits so your bank will stay broken...

Point and shoots will do very well as well, consider a g12 for instance.

Yeah, I've been contemplating a point & shoot, although I haven't done any research yet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom