Nikon D3100 questions / anyone use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DXHI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was really hoping to purchase a new mirrorless camera - 20 to 24 mp to dive into the underwater photography world; however with the current world situation and questionable economical future I'm holding off.
Mom has offered me her camera if I think I can use it; as she just keeps it on a shelf.

I have an upcoming trip to the Texas Flower Gardens and considering a housing and lens set up for this camera. Is it worth it to invest in the housing; strobes etc with this one or just get a good light and tray for my go pro 7 until I can afford a better camera? Based on what I have read doing my own research this is not an ideal camera for underwater photography compared to the Z6/Z7 or sony a7III
I am certainly in amateur hour however I would like a mid-range system that I can grow into and be happy for several years.

If you are going to the interchangeable lens camera road, there are many things you have to concern.

1. Which lens you will use in wide-angle (mostly are fisheye lens) and macro photography?
2. Does your camera can use those lenses properly and full functions?
3. Is there any housing for your camera and ports for your lens choices?
4. What is the total cost?

This is not including the cost of tray system, arms, clamps, strobe, and focusing light.

Personally, I use Nik D5200 in Ikelite housing with Sigma 10 mm Fisheye and Nikon 105 F2.8 Macro.

If you are going to the interchangeable lens camera road, there are many things you have to concern.

1. Which lens you will use in wide-angle (mostly are fisheye lens) and macro photography?
2. Does your camera can use those lenses properly and full functions?
3. Is there any housing for your camera and ports for your lens choices?
4. What is the total cost?

This is not including the cost of tray system, arms, clamps, strobe, and focusing light.

Personally, I use Nik D5200 in Ikelite housing with Sigma 10 mm Fisheye and Nikon 105 F2.8 Macro.
I am using the D5100 and Ikelite housing and get great shots. What do you do to get the most depth of field with the 105?

These are great! Thanks.
Are you using auto or manual focus? Or fixed focus and move the camera to best focus?

My rig can not use manual focus, so I only use autofocus with the 3-D tracking system.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom