Ni’ihau in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NYCDiveGuy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Hawaii group!

I am wondering if you can share some advice and help me plan a weekend of diving!
I'm headed to Hawaii in May to visit friends in Oahu. I want to take a weekend on front end to Dive and am considering Kauai if i can dive Ni'ihau. I'm an experienced diver (>600 dives). If i only have a weekend, do you think i should consider Kauai? If so, who is going out? any op more reliable? If the chances of cancellation due to conditions are >50% should i just head to Maui and dive Molokini back wall or Lanai catherdrals? other ideas? I've already been diving in Kona and Oahu in past. I was thinking of arriving May 13th and diving 14-15th before heading to Oahu on 16th in afternoon.

thanks for your advice!

Eric

Aloha Eric,
Having just one weekend to get Niihau in isn't good for the best odds. Seasport Divers would probably be your best bet, but they only cross twice a week on predetermined days. If you call them now, you might be able to get them to build that specific day as a Niihau day. They usually cross in most conditions(biggest boat).

"Explore Kauai Scuba" has the quickest boat and the shortest to and from time(harbor location) but we shy away from "sporty" weather quickly. Back up dives are the infamous Mana Crack(Na Pali Coast) or something on the westward side of the island.

I hope this helps. If you have any other Kauai questions, ask away!

Back
Top Bottom