Night time lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PEIDiver

Reaction score
Just got back from a night dive. Saw lots of lobster tonight. Unfortunately, the viz was poor and this was the only pic to turn out. Found this guy just lounging around on top of an abandoned lobster trap.

Steve

Aloha PEIDiver,
Since we don't have those kind of lobsters here, I'll be expecting a shipment of them.
:shades:

Well, it's too bad these guys are out of season Gilligan. I can't eat them because of a food alergy, but they are popular with the locals and the tourists.

Steve.

One @ Night....Mexico

A bit soft...but eh..it works, no?

Lob

Cheers,
~Crazy_J
:doctor:

PEIDiver once bubbled...
Just got back from a night dive. Saw lots of lobster tonight. Unfortunately, the viz was poor and this was the only pic to turn out. Found this guy just lounging around on top of an abandoned lobster trap.

Steve

Ahh! A real lobster! Those WWWs have no idea what they're missing in those claws!!! I need to get busy photographing some of the local clawed wildlife myself, though. Usually I'm too busy catching them instead... :D

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...

Ahh! A real lobster! Those WWWs have no idea what they're missing in those claws!!! I need to get busy photographing some of the local clawed wildlife myself, though. Usually I'm too busy catching them instead... :D

-Roman.

Are you guys allowed to take lobster while diving? Around here that's a good way to get shot. The lobster fishing business is big business and the lobster fishermen are pretty protective of it. The only legal way to catch lobster here is by trap with a license and licenses go for as much as a quarter million dollars from what I'm told.

Steve.

PEIDiver once bubbled...

Are you guys allowed to take lobster while diving? Around here that's a good way to get shot. The lobster fishing business is big business and the lobster fishermen are pretty protective of it. The only legal way to catch lobster here is by trap with a license and licenses go for as much as a quarter million dollars from what I'm told.

Steve.

In the state of Massachusetts residents can get non-commercial licenses that allow us to take lobster either diving or using pots (there's a 10 pot limit). The license costs about $40 US. There's a min/max size limit 3 1/4" to 5", and you can't take lobsters at night. Eggers and v-notched lobsters (previously caught eggers with their tail fins marked by lobstermen) also cannot be taken.

Lobstering is a big business in Massachusetts as well, so naturally you don't go raiding traps. That's a sure way to get into a world of hurt. The environmental police also enforce the non-commercial lobstering regulations fairly strictly. If you're caught with smalls or eggers, you get slapped with a stiff fine and they take your gear - much like anywhere else, I s'pose. But catching them is legal with a license, so quite a few divers down here do that.

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom