Night swimming flesh colored worm in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MelE

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don’t have a picture but this worm was pretty unremarkable. I saw several scattered during my night dive at Oil Slick between 15-30 feet. They swam by undulating madly back and forth and they looked like they were spawning? It was 3 days before a new moon. When it landed on the sand it rolled into a spiral like a curly-q french fry. The worms were about the size of a man’s finger, smooth and flesh colored. I have never seen this worm before and despite whatever it spewed I could not discern a difference in the head and tail. To be fair, I am near sighted.

Thanks for any help!
M

Well I'm sure it was probably a polychaete worm, of which there are many species. When they reproduce they create what's called an epitoke. It swims around wildly and in a curling fashion before exploding and releasing the package.

Here's a video. Not mine, but hopefully my post will get you going in the right direction for identification.

I don’t have a picture but this worm was pretty unremarkable. I saw several scattered during my night dive at Oil Slick between 15-30 feet. They swam by undulating madly back and forth and they looked like they were spawning? It was 3 days before a new moon. When it landed on the sand it rolled into a spiral like a curly-q french fry. The worms were about the size of a man’s finger, smooth and flesh colored. I have never seen this worm before and despite whatever it spewed I could not discern a difference in the head and tail. To be fair, I am near sighted.

Thanks for any help!
M
Was it a bloodworm? They’re the small worms in the background of the video.

They’re also really common in Bonaire. I think I still have a few in my ear from when I was there in 2015. :)

Back
Top Bottom