Night Lights Out From Kona

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Dive4fun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are staying in a beach house about a mile south of Kona. At night we can see several distant lights always in the same location that do not seam to move. I was awake very early in the morning and they were still there. They appear to be about a mile out from the shore. Can anyone tell me what they are from?

Wild guess here, but likely... About a couple miles off shore along the mid-section of Ali'i drive there's a FAD (fish aggregation device) bouy. These generally are lighted themselves. There's a type of fishing, called "ika shibi" (something like that anyways), that is popular locally, where fishermen will go out to the bouys late at night, put out a sea anchor (it's basically a parachute) that will put them locked into the local current rather than being pushed by the wind. Some time in the middle of the night, after a couple hours of chumming, they'll put lines in the water and hope for the best. It's one of those things that you can do for several nights and catch nothing, then one night run into a school of tuna and load up. Often times several boats will do this and you'll have a line of lights in the same area on those nights. Odds are you've got a bunch of fishermen that are giving it a go.

Thanks for the response. That's sounds like what we are looking at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom