Night Diving at La Jolla Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LittleFish

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all. A friend and I are getting ready to do our first night dive at La Jolla Cove (not our first night dive, just first at the Cove). Does anyone have any tips or suggestions specific to this location? Will our stuff be safe at night in the grassy area by the restroom after dark? I have only been diving here during the morning hours and all our previous night dives have been at the Shores. Any insights are much appreciated.

Thanks for your insights.
LF

Hi LittleFish,

Good choice, I love diving the Cove at night. I wouldn't suggest leaving your gear on the grass though. It works for day dives, but not for night. A night dive at the Cove means you are gearing up at and returning to your car / truck.

A couple of things to think about for a night dive at the Cove vs a day dive. First, Lifeguards will be gone, so plan accordingly for any emergencies that may crop up. Depending on what night you go, parking may be an issue. The Cove is a popular spot for evening strolls, romantic liaisons and local dining, so parking is most difficult up to about an hour after sunset, and then it starts opening up. I've always been able to find a spot, but I usually get there early because I know I'm going to have to wait for one to open up.

The entry / exit to the Cove is best accomplished by a "line of sight" path in line with the main stairs next to the lifeguard tower. This helps you avoid the partially submerged rocks and reefs that stick out from the cave on your left as you look at the water, and the rock cliffs on your right. It's easy to see the water's reaction to the rocks / reefs during the daytime, but at night, rely on the lineup.

Other than that, dive safe, have a great time and enjoy your night dive at the Cove!

Thanks for all your insights John. My buddy and I went out on Friday and had a great dive. It did take us a bit of vulturing to get a parking spot, but we ended up grabbing one accross the street. I am not sure if it was the time of the year or not, but there was not all that much life in the Cove. We did get to see the lobsters out of thier holes though, which was a treat. The best part was the conditions. There was no surf, very light surge and the vis was a respectable 15'+.

I think for our next night dive we will head back to the Shores. You are welcome to join us the next time we head out for a dive if your schedule allows. We are always looking for more local divers to enjoy the waters with.

Cheers,
LF

Back
Top Bottom