NIGHT DIVE FTW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dive 2083 8-22-2019 FTW Jamestown Solo night

A clammy bug filled night greeted me at FTW last night. I just got done rebuilding my new/old Aqua Lung regulator and thought I'd give it a try. I picked the right night, I usually just nav back and out on a night dive because I don't leave a light on shore or follow much of the rest of the night diving protocols so I just use my compass, the bottom and the direction of the surge or current to get home. Last night there was a class. I thought I was at La Salette shrine at Christmas time! Lights every where, on shore, on truck roll bars, flashing lights, red, green and white lights!
I was concerned I might get a seizure!

Anyway air temp a clammy 79F water temp 70F at max depth 20FSW 66F. FTW is the only site I dive where there is bad vis at night! A very cloudy particle suspended 5' vis, maybe less if I'm wrong I'm being generous. I beat the class in too so it wasn't them. Got some descent pictures and saw a lot of life, flat fish, blue carbs were everywhere if you like blue crabs now is your time, although a lot were egg bearing. A small Black Sea Bass that was real camera hog! Also one lonely small squid. The surge was too much near the rocks so I confined my picture taking to the sand. After 45 minutes I headed back knowing my air was low, no J-valve or SPG on this dive, Old Bold Divers don't require such things to dive. The reg worked well but I need to tighten the crotch strap more, the tank was mounted on my B/P/wing so I think the reg body was lifted up too high by the wing. Once I get the strap tighten so that I sound like I'm using helium when I talk it'll be good.

Blue Crab_a_FTW_8_2019.JPG

Blue crabs where everywhere a lot were carrying eggs!

Black Sea Bass closeup_FTW_8_2019.JPG

This one was a curious little fish, he got this close, of course there was no pressure wave from exhaled bubbles because they were coming out the back!

@AferDark
stated

" …. I headed back knowing my air was low, no J-valve or SPG on this dive, Old Bold Divers don't require such things to dive. The reg worked well but I need to tighten the crotch strap more, the tank was mounted on my B/P/wing so I think the reg body was
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

interesting ---
I some how was under the impression that "Old Bold divers" who didn't use a J valve or SPG would never use back packs or wings ---Or any form of flotation

Why did this OLD BOLD DIVER use a back pack and wing?

Just wondering ????

sdm

@AferDark
stated

" …. I headed back knowing my air was low, no J-valve or SPG on this dive, Old Bold Divers don't require such things to dive. The reg worked well but I need to tighten the crotch strap more, the tank was mounted on my B/P/wing so I think the reg body was
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

interesting ---
I some how was under the impression that "Old Bold divers" who didn't use a J valve or SPG would never use back packs or wings ---Or any form of flotation

Why did this OLD BOLD DIVER use a back pack and wing?

Just wondering ????

sdm

Because bold doesn't equate to stupid. :) I was alone, didn't know if anyone would be at the site for sure although I suspected there would. The regulator was an unknown, I bought it off Ebay and just got done servicing it; will it work? That's why I'm there. All my safety gear is in a pouch on the waist belt of my harness and I thought having floatation was prudent. I did orally inflate the wing! :wink: I never challenge the ocean, I always try to have options. That's why I'm old. I have however dived where others dare not go .
Those days are pretty much over unless I can find a man servant to carry my gear and maybe me too! It was a tongue in cheek comment. I've been using BCD devices since I donned my 1st gray short UDT vest with dual CO2 cartridges.

If this regulator works out I just may do all my diving double hose. I'd put a Phoenix 1st stage on it so I can have the LP and HP ports so I can use my console, SPG, and LS-1 compass. Currently I have a SP 109 mounted on the hookah port, ironically I think the 109 is older than the Royal Aqua Master. So last night was a step in that direction. I answered a few questions one was the length of the strap.

Glad your rebuilt reg worked well. Reminds me of a test dive a few months as go. I took a reg someone gave me and I rebuilt (a Calypso IV) out for its first test dive the other day off the beach. No BC but I did have a SPG. About 5 min into the dive in 25 feet of ocean I experienced an uncontrolled rapid free-flow that would not stop regardless of what I did. Very disconcerting watching your SPG needle hurdling at breakneck speed towards the zero mark. I immediately initiated my emergency action plan for catastrophic gas loss at depth - which basically consisted of swimming to the surface. :)
Took the reg apart and still have no clue what caused the freeflow. IP was fine, 2nd stage lever adjusted just right, nothing sticking, no clue. Worked fine on another tank in my garage. Not going to trust it until I've pinpointed the cause. Anyway, glad your test dive went good even though visibility sucked and light pollution filled the night air. Safe diving. M

If this regulator works out I just may do all my diving double hose. I'd put a Phoenix 1st stage on it so I can have the LP and HP ports so I can use my console, SPG, and LS-1 compass...

Can't go wrong with a Phoenix. I have two (Voit NAVY and USD RAM). Be sure to use an HPR for your 2nd stage and a new silicone diaphragm to get the best performance. I go back and forth between my Phoenix-equiped regs and my Kraken always thinking one is outperforming the other. Now days I use DH 95% of the time. M

Can't go wrong with a Phoenix. I have two (Voit NAVY and USD RAM). Be sure to use an HPR for your 2nd stage and a new silicone diaphragm to get the best performance. I go back and forth between my Phoenix-equiped regs and my Kraken always thinking one is outperforming the other. Now days I use DH 95% of the time. M

If you go to the Vintage section on SB and checkout the My New Toy thread you'll find that is already done, new silicone diaphragm, HPR 2nd also a duckbill eliminator. I'm going to tinker with it today, the IP is set @110psi but I've been advised that 130-135psi is doable with the current setup. The Phoenix although my 1st choice, after totaling the $$$ I decided something had to go so it was the Phoenix. It costs almost the same as everything else that was done to the regulator by itself. A worth while expense that will have to wait awhile. If I had included the Phoenix and including the one time tool purchases I almost would have been in Kraken price range! Maybe I can work up to that, I'm getting ready to put my Jet Air on Ebay, see if I can defray some of the cost of this project.

Back
Top Bottom