Night Dive 10/6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Padipro

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
H2O Scuba of Sunny Isles, 954-956-3483 is doing Tenneco Towers tonight, 10/6. 6:00 PM show for a 6:30 PM go. You must have at least an advanced certification to go as this one can get kind of deep, 115' to the sand. This is a two tank dive with the second dive on a shallow reef, sounds like bug hunting time to me.

I'm already signed up and will be there early so if anyone else is interested in going either PM me or just show up.

Hope to see you there.

Thanks for the invite, but as you now know I couldn't make it.

I do expect a full trip report for this much-envied dive.

Marc

FLL Diver:
Thanks for the invite, but as you now know I can't dive right now with REPUBLICANS. I do expect a full trip report for this much-envied dive.
Marc
Marc - I don't know *what* happened to your comment above - it doesn't match the post I replied to... could it be that ScubaBoard has installed a truth detector and actually CHANGES quotes to reality? LOL

The trip was awesome - THANKS SCOTT!

Only 5 divers made it easy to gear-up and gear-down in the dark. I'd never been to the Tenneco Towers before and a night dive was almost a shock to my system - the beauty was incredible and I could have stayed hours. The diver will be hit first by the interesting configuration of the tower... like a big treehouse. After getting a grasp of the structure, diving below the levels reveals an INCREDIBLE amount of life in all forms, and the colors are BRIGHT. Look closer and you find detail within the detail... just the way a dive should be.

I couldn't count the types of fish - all the usual suspects and then a few. Forests of coral, sponges and fans were more dense than anyplace local I've seen. Brittle stars, crabs dressed up in everything they could attach to themselves (comical), slugs (did I say BRIGHT?), etc etc etc.

The second dive was ____ <Scott to fill in the blank>. This reef was alive with everything. Scott even took a nice little slipper lobster. Highlights included several octopi, two 3-foot "so-blue-it-hurt" parrots sleeping in the wall (ever get 1' away from one of their beaks?) and eels-eels-eels. Fish use the weathered limestone cracks & holes to sleep, and in places it looked like somebody had thrown a thousand fish into the wall and they stuck there like darts - tails everywhere of every color.

H2O Scuba (http://www.h2oscuba.com/) gets high marks IMO (they even picked me up on the way out because I was late). This is one MUST DO trip for visiting divers.

I found a tiny o-ring the other day and am guessing it might have come from my camera case, so no pics until I can verify it... but there was still a lot of debris in the water and conditions were shy of optimal. It wasn't camera weather.

For Marc's benefit we did a survey and the divers/crew were equally split between democrats & republicans. We all got along well, so you should have made it!

Jealous, very jealous! Sounds like a great dive guys!

Would like to do the towers one day, day or night! Didnt even see this trip here, not that i could have made it of course :wink:

Sounds like you guys had a blast! I will definately consider taking visiting divers on that dive.

Dang. I really wish I could have made it - I would have even gone and buddied up with Dick Cheney if that's what it would have taken. :D

As we've talked about in the past, the Tenneco Towers has been that one dive that just hasn't worked out for us over the past year. And as a night dive to boot! Is this a regularly scheduled dive with H2O?

Glad you guys enjoyed it, and it's good to see Scott is back out and about.

Next time - and the more notice the better.

Marc

Hay Everyone,

WOW what a dive we had. I've always loved diving Tenneco so when I heard that H2O doing a night dive on it I just had to go, I knew it was going to be good. I've had the oppertunity to dive Tenneco during the day many time but never at night and the contrast between night and day on the wreck is indescribable. For those that don't know the wreck it is an old off shore oil drilling platform that belonged to the Tenneco Oil Company. When it had outlived it's usefullness it was donated to South Floridas artifical reef program, cut into sections, towed from the Gulf of Mexico and sunk off the cost of South Florida. There were originally 3 sections sitting next to each other in 100 to 115 feet of water but hurricane Andrew destroyed the center section and severly damaged one of the remaining two. We dived on the undamaged section last night.

Things started out rather hectic, Mike ran into a bit of traffic on his was down to the shop and the crew was in a bit of a rush because the winds seemed to be picking up. They graciously told Mike to meet us at a location along the Intercostal that was easier to get to from the direction he was traveling then trying to get to the shop. Mike was waiting on the dock when we pulled up so everything was looking good.

The seas were a bit rough, 4 to 6 foot with a strong wind out of the east. It was about a 30 minute roller coaster ride to the site but we all survived the pounding. It didn't take long to tie off and we were in the water quickly (Thank God). The vis was about 50 feet, not bad but still a little messed up from all the fun :wink: we've had lately here in Florida with the hurricanes. As the top of the wreck came into view at about 70 feet we were met with some of the most spectacular colors I've ever seen, pinks, yellows, oranges and purples so vivid that it made your eyes hurt. The wreck has been down for many years so the growth is quite impressive, many soft corals, sea fans and hard coarls. The marine life is sometimes overwelming too. Schools of fish so thick it's like swimming into a solid wall, Aerocrabs, Slugs, Grunts, Barracuda and many more. We slipped over the side of the platform and headed for the bottom. We hit the sand at 101 feet and headed underneath. The maze of wreckage under the platform makes for an incredable view bathed in the glow of our dive lights with many hiding places for the marine life. Mike and I spent about 10 to 15 minutes explorering this area, with almost no current it was like floating in space, it was so peaceful and serene (God I needed that) I could have stayed for hours but at this depth we were pushing it as it was. Because of the rather large size of the towers it makes for a great milti-level dive so ascending slowely back up the side from the sand gave us back some bottom time. We spent the remainder of the dive exploreing the upper most deck peering back into the darkness of the deep through the many access holes, some large enough to easily accommodate a diver. As we neared the 30 minute mark I noticed we were the only two lights still visible on the wreck and desided that it was time to start our ascent. We made our way to the line and started up stopping at 50 feet for a 1 minute stop and then doing another stop at 20 feet for 5 minutes no deco was required on this dive but I always like to make a couple of stops just to be sure. We were back on board at 45 minutes total time with a max depth of 101' an avarage water temp of 80. What a beautiful dive, the only thing that would have made it more enjoyable would have been calm seas (A few of us were feeling a little green) but as Mic once said "You can't always get what you want" so I'll settle for what I can get.

I'm not much for the shallow reef diving so I'm going to skip the second dive report and let Mikes recap handle that. Sorry Mike but I don't remember the name if it either, I think it's called something like the Pipe or the Trench for the big pipe running through the trench cut out in the bottom but I'm not sure.

We had a great time and sure wish more of the SB members could have made it. H2O does night dives every Wednesday so if anyone is interested in getting together in the future let me know and maybe we can set something up.

TTFN

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom