NH Quarries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefseal

Contributor
Reaction score
in Addition to the Alstead Mica Mine Quarry, any one know of other quarries in State that could possibly dive in?

I found a Fitzwilliam Quarry in NH. Anyone know how to find it, where to park, is it illegal to swim/dive there?

Attachments

• NHFITZ.jpg
    NHFITZ.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 3,838
i heard of one on the MA/NH line and was able to find it at google maps at some point...but i can't find it now(just forgot where to look)

There is one in Wells Maine that our former LDS used to get into about once a month for local deep dive and limited visbility diving by virtue of darkkness if not murk. It's a fair size hole with depths greater than 70 feet. Known use ended when the LDS shut down. There was talk of making it into a dive destination with a campground, the owner had a lot of big dreams. It is a granite quarry with some activity on the property with previously extracted material. There were plenty of sights and hazards with old machinery, cables and derelict autos, motorcyles and stone. Entry was via giant stride from about 4 feet above the water. Exit was along a small slope on the edge of the ledge wall. There were some schools of fish to be seen and some neat drilling patterns along some walls. It would be fun to get back in there someday. There were some towers still in place for the overhead hauling ssystem as well as some cable spans, I think. I just found this.
Pete

in Addition to the Alstead Mica Mine Quarry, any one know of other quarries in State that could possibly dive in?

I found a Fitzwilliam Quarry in NH. Anyone know how to find it, where to park, is it illegal to swim/dive there?

I don't know if people dive it, but it's in my local area and I walked up to it about ten years ago to take a look. It was about a tenth of a mile from where I parked next to East Lake Rd, Fitzwilliam, NH.

Coordinates of the quarry itself (from Google Earth image):
42deg 45' 26.54"
72deg 08' 46.52"
I'll ask around and post more if I can find out anything.

Dave C

I checked it out today with a buddy from my dive club (United Divers of NH) We found the entrances on East Lake Road. Lots of no parking signs on both sides of the road. Where the gate is for access road, there are tow zone signs. The gate on access road is locked. From the gate, it's a good 5 min walk, 1/4 of a mile. We parked up further to another access path which made the walk a bit shorter. Still a long hike to be walking up with gear. (Hill)

Max depth is 47 feet. Coolest temp at depth (42 - 44 degrees) Upper 60's on the surface. Usual quarry bottom. Silt on top of the rock. Tons of beer cans, towels. My buddy found a cell phone and camera. Saw lots of spare change. There was some old cart of some kind down there. It's really a small quarry and took about 15 min to circumvent it. Total bottom time was 40 min. Came up with 1500 psi left

Glad the cars were still there and not ticketed. The signs must be there to discourage the youts from being kids. I wish they would clean up after themselves and not litter.
Sort of glad checked out anyway. I wouldn't go back. Not worth the hike. Though would be interesting to be under as kids are jumping off the sides.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom