Next week: Similans and Phuket - what suit to bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Howdy Guys and Gals! I'm arriving in Phuket on Monday for 5 days liveaboard to Similans and then 4 days staying in Phuket.

I currently wear a 6.5mm semi dry for our waters here - 20'c, coldest last week was 17'c and I felt cold! So I'm thinking what suit requirements are needed for diving in Phuket and Similan waters, when doing 3-4dives a day...

I've had a look on the net and it looks like 26-28'c water temp, however staying down for an hour, you will soon lose body temp, so I'm in a little quandary as to what suit to take, either the 5mm shorty and rash vest or the 6.5mm semi? I dived the sea sea where it was 25'c and I was glad of the 6.5mm then, so I'm a little unsure - any advice would be great...haven't got much luggage so might end up taking both anyway...

HI,

I wore a 3mm full suit and the temperature was about the same 27 to 28 degrees. If you are afraid of the cold, may consider putting on a hood. I think that should suffice. Or bring another neoprene vest to add on for more comfort.

One other trick is dun get yourself sunburnt or too much of a tanning as you will definitely feel the contrast in the temperature difference given the fact that your skin's natural barrier is already "penetrated".

Before and after dive, help yourself with the warm drinks on board. Have adequate sleep and hydrate yourself well. Think you will be alright.

Happy diving!

been to Phuket the last three years in a row and dove in January with a full 3/2 mm....good enought for me doing 4 dives a day on a live-aboard. If you get cold easily bring a hood. Remember outside air temps are 80-85 even that time of year. HOT!!

Have fun!

3mm is fine. I think you'd get pretty hot in a 5mm - more than that is most definitely too much.

Enjoy yourself....it's fantastic diving. I'm going in March again.

I get cold pretty easily and rarely need more than a 3mm fullsuit here. The water temps are usually *at least* 28, barring a thermocline now and then. When the water is 'cool', say 25/26, I throw on my 5mm. If you've got a 5mm shorty, you'll probably be okay with just that. It won't be too hot since you will cool off on the arms and legs, yet your core will stay toasty. The 6.5 semi-dry may be too hot, especially since those models are made to minimise water circulation by sealing openings and zippers.

Many, many thanks guys and gals....

I've decided to just take the 5mm shorty and a rash vest (plus a hood...)

On another note: Whats the weather like at the moment? On the internet based weather reports looks like we are heading for thunderstorms!? :(

Weather here in Phuket has been improving, although still spotty showers occasionally. However, as you'll be in Similans and parts north of Phuket it is normally clearer than on Phuket (I just dove there there last week!) and we had some VERY nice sunny days, and generally excellent water conditions (average 28 C).

BTW, as Tour Leader on one of the "major" Similan/Surin/Burma Banks Liveaboards based in Phuket, I think your suit choice is ideal-unless you prefer full exposure protection. In that case a 3mm full suit, plus occasional use of a 3mm hooded vest is perfect (Koh Bon has very extreme thermoclines) But the 5mm shorty should keep your "core" warm, which is critical--the hood just adds that extra bit to reduce heat loss through the head. After 4 dives/day for 6 days, I DO feel it.
YMMV!

Have a great trip.
HB:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom