Next step in underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Krisher

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have the basic canon point and shoot setup. I've been able to take some decent to nice photos, but it's not the camera, it's the underwater scene/sealife was 'that' amazing.

I'm looking to take a step up in my equipment. I'm not ready to spend many thousands of dollars yet, but more than you casual diver/photographer.

I want something with multiple lens capability, filters, etc.

Any suggestions, success and waste of money stories?

Thanks,

Krish

My stuff is old and DIY but from my experience in SoCal waters if the visibility is low stick to macro or at most close-up portraits, both with a strobe up and off to the side. If you are at the channel islands then wide-angle is nice. I attached a flashlight to my strobe to help see better so I could focus more easily on subjects inside dark holes. Also, I like to be slightly negative when taking pictures, especially where it's kinda surgy.

Unfortunatly, if you want multiple lens options, you are pretty much looking at thousands of dollars.

However, adding a strobe would probably do wonders for your photos with your current camera, and if you get one that can go along with future upgrades, it'll be one less thing to have to buy down the road. Sea&Sea, Ikelite, and Inon all make great stobes that will work with a point and shoot as well as a dSLR.

If you want more camera power, I think the Canon G11 (10? Whatever the new one is) is about as good as you can get with a P&S. But it's been a few months since I looked at them so there might be something new.

And take a class from a pro photographer. Not necessarily a PADI Underwater Digital Photography Instructor, but someone that really knows what they are doing. H2O Photo Pros is a good place to start, they are in Irvine.

Chris

If you want something that has interchangeable lens capability but don't want to spend DSLR dollars, look into the Olympus E-PL1. Interchangeable lenses aren't the only route to achieve true-wide angle and macro capability though. The Canon S90 w/ Fix housing and the appropriate wet lenses can get you there even cheaper. For more info on the S90 check out this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/317325-fisheye-fix-s90.html

Also check out the Underwater Photography Guide: Underwater Photography Guide Its an excellent resource, offering everything from shooting tips/tutorials to equipment and dive destination reviews.

I have the basic canon point and shoot setup. I've been able to take some decent to nice photos, but it's not the camera, it's the underwater scene/sealife was 'that' amazing.

I'm looking to take a step up in my equipment. I'm not ready to spend many thousands of dollars yet, but more than you casual diver/photographer.

I want something with multiple lens capability, filters, etc.

Any suggestions, success and waste of money stories?

Thanks,

Krish
You're all casual diver/photographers! You want waste-of-money stories? I'll give you waste-of-money stories! Back in the day, back in 1994, we brought 50 rolls of slide film to a liveaboard. If you were lucky, they developed on-board so you knew you were screwing up on day 2 and only wasted 4 rolls of film. But sometimes you had to wait until you got back home before you got any feedback whatsoever. We didn't get to look at a histogram on our 77th shot of the dive to tweak the exposure and save ourselves a mouse click in Photoshop later. If you got one keeper out of a 36-slide dive you were happy. And, of course, orcas hunting hammerheads would usually appear once you snapped picture number 36.

Kids these days. :shakehead:

You don't say what Canon you're shooting, but P & S cameras are getting better and better. I swapped to DSLR because my P & S was outdated and I had a DSLR and wanted to eliminate the weaknesses of a P & S, namely slow focus and write times and shutter lag.
As mentioned in previous posts, going the full DSLR route will cost you thousands. There are huge disadvantages in weight, size, travel issues and versatility.
The main reasons for interchangeable lenses are tighter macro and wider wide angle, with sharpness and good resolution on both ends. Some of the new P & S options can get you that with the additions of external wet lenses and/or add on dome ports.
If lens options are really what you want, as Frank Pro said, there are some exciting options becoming available. The new Olympus and Panasonic 4/3's cameras are smaller, with smaller lenses and give you the live screen that you're accustomed to. Sony has three new cameras coming out that use a full APS-C (DX) sensor size and compact lenses. I worry about Sony's propensity for full automation-trying to take the photographer out of the photo and let the camera make all the decisions. So far that doesn't work so well underwater. Make sure whatever you get allows full manual control as well as automation. Just don't count out the P & S option, as some of them are getting awfully good, and they have the advantage of drop, see, shoot with only a swap of wet lenses to limit your choice of subject.

It will take you "thousands" to get multiple lens options be it via Canon S90 with FIX90 housing, Pen ELP-1 with flat dome and new Zen dome and supporting lenses or dSLR.

Including two lenses, two strobes, two camera bodies, one FIX 90 housing, misc. equipment, adapters, tray, arms etc, look at around 3,500 dollars:

Housing 800
Strobes 600 to 1,200
WA lens 400 to 800
Macro lens 200
optical cables 150
camera S90 400
Lens adapters 250
tray and arms around 150 to 250
Misc. 200

I would say add another 2,000 for the PEN with Zen dome and two lenses, dual strobes etc. A S&S RDX housing plus T2i might add yet another 1,000 for gears, domes, Tokina lens.

At some point you have to decide, how much is too much and what is enough considering travel weight, size, money, capability, frankly, most people could do with the S90 or G11 rigs even with the disposable OEM housings they are excellent outfits.

I am going to leave you dissatisfied I know, well, it was like this, on a recently concluded trip, I am going down for a shore dive in the sea pool with my camera rig, my wife was just going to watch from shore in case I drown or something, lol. So, I am gearing up when this, shall I say, very attractive lady asks me if I am a professional photographer? That is a very impressive camera you have! I kinda stutter, looking back over my shoulder (at wife) and mumble something about no, I am just a Nemrod and not a pro at all and she says, well, would you take some pictures (of her) anyways? So, my wife is like looking at me and nods like, watch out there buster and so I shot a few for the lady before disappearing into the depths, after all, I am Nemrod :wink:. I did contemplate as I dropped over the wall, this little camera rig is pretty pro looking even if I leave something to be desired in it's use. Uh, the pics, lol, sorry guys, no way on this forum. Ha, ha. :wink:. Hey, the pics even looked pro!

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom