Next piece of equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
I'm a new diver (certified this month) and plan on diving a fair amount over the next 12 months (should get 100 dives in). I'm not big on lugging equipment around the globe with me, and I'm wondering what my next piece of equipment should be. I have mask, fins, snorkle and a couple of wetsuits (surfing, not diving, but good enough for now).. I'm leaning towards a computer. Advice would be appreciated. There are two of us, and my wife is a little more conservative than I. Should we acquire two computers off the bat (probably going to be doing a fair amount of multi-levels... and Nitrox is probably in our future).

If so, any advice on how to buy a computer?... wrist v. console etc... or, should we do the whole bc/reg/octopus etc. first? My feeling is that those pieces of equipment are readily available for rent or included in dive prices, and fairly easy to use relative to a computer. They are also a hassle to lug, as we live in NY, most of our diving will require travel.
Thanks,
Matt

Regulator first. Then BC. Then computer & nits & nats.
Rick

Hi Mattiedread,

Just my $.02 but if you are going to invest in a regulator first, I would also buy the computer at the same time. That way, if you buy the kind of computer that is a single console and attaches directly to you SPG hose, you won't have to take your regulator in again to have it done.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Lady Diver,

Thanks, that is something I probably would have overlooked. Although I'm not going to be buying equipment for at least a month, maybe 5 (but I will be going on dive trips), the order in which to buy is a big question. I guess I could plop down the money and buy the bcd, reg, comp etc, but, if my thought process is flawed from inception, I'd be shooting myself in the foot. If I'm going to make a mistake, I'd rather make a 3 or 4 hundred $US than a 3 or 4 thousand (gotta buy for my wife too).

Now I know how my ski students felt when they asked me all those questions that seemed second nature to me.

Again, thank you. A divemaster from Indonesia recommended I look seriously into a computer before bc/reg (and, a light for that matter), and two other divemaster/instructors on the boat agreed for several reasons... But, if I'm going with a console computer (I have no idea, yet)the rules become a little more complex.

I know what you mean by not wanting to make a $3000 mistake, but if you'll buy high quality name brand gear, you won't make a mistake. Sure you may see something 6 months down the road that you like better, but that's the way with everything. If you can afford to buy it all at one time, then that's your best option. If not then I'd get a reg set first, with or without a computer. Just put in the time researching your choices, try them out and go with it.

Hi Mattiedread,
My recommendation would be to leave the computer to last for several reasons. First, you need to learn to use the tables, depth gauge and timer, not just in the classroom but in the real world. If for any reason, your fancey computer dies (dead battery) it sure is nice to have the experience of using the time tested method. A regular old depth gauge is inexpensive, tough and can easily be carried as a backup when you move up to a computer. Until you get some diving experience, it's best to keep your diving on the shallower side which make the computer less necessary anyway. Finally, after you have some dives under your belt you can make better decisions in just excatly what your diving style is going to be and what equipment suits you best. I use a computer, but because my perfered diving is shallow(30 to 50 ft) reefs, I almost never get anywhere close to my max bottom time,so it's really just a neat logging tool for me UNTIL I head to the NC coast and 100+ ft wreck diving we have here.

I would suggest to buy the reg next; it's the most important pease of equipement you have, 'cause it provides you with what you need most: AIR! I wouldn't want to rely on a borrowed reg, having no idea when it has been cleaned and serviced last. A good regulator service takes about an hour or an hour and a half; what do you think how often many dive-bases around the world do this with the 50 or 100 regs they have?
As a beginner you will propably dive with more experienced divers for a while, so you can propably rely on them for the dive-planning (of course you should still check the tables, ... yourself!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom