News on the Rena

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supergaijin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi- I'm originally from Tga and have just read on stuff.co.nz about the Rena plowing in to the Astrolabe Reef. Is there any more info on the accident?

Cheers, supergaijin.

This caught my eye today on Reuters: New Zealand charges captain of stricken ship as seas claim cargo | Reuters

"The 47,230-tonne Liberian-flagged Rena has been stranded on a reef 12 nautical miles off Tauranga on the east coast of New Zealand's North Island since running aground a week ago."

Is/was this location a popular dive spot?
I am sure that in time, regardless how well they clean the site, people will attempt to dive on it, searching for whatever.

"The ship was carrying 1,368 containers, 11 of which are said to have hazardous substances in them."

Happy diving,
AC

just a heads up for anyone interested.Almost all the oil has been pumped out of the ship and they are now starting recovery work on the thousand or so containers on board.This is going to be a long drawn out job due to the angle of the ship

I'm heading back to Tauranga in .... 8 days (Very happy)
I'll try to have a chat to dive operators in the area to see if they have been affected. Will try to find time in between my Dad's homebrew and all those Maketu meat pies :)

Latest News.
NZU is having talks with BECA who have been commissioned by the Owners of the Rena and the Swedish Club (The insurer) and various groups including recreational users of having the Rena left as a wreck diving destination.
To think that there may be a possibility that the Wreck may be available to divers some time in the future is really exciting. Imagine having a wreck of this size available close to a main centre, in addition the Rena stern section is now resting on the sand bottom at around 65 meters, the shallowest part is at only 5 meters so she would make the perfect wreck for everyone from new divers to experienced techies.

If you want to see this as a wreck diving location vote here www.divein.co.nz • Login (registration required to vote)

Is this likely to happen? Afterall the ship hasn't been stripped of all possible contaminants.

Thats a good question.
Strangely there are a number of other ships (numbering over 200) that have sunk in New Zealand with their contaminants, and no-one has cared less.

One of the larger ships was the Mikhael Lermontov which the polititions seems to have ignored.
Also, for some some reason, people think what is left in the ship is more hazardous to the marine envorinment than the tens of thousands of gallons of oil, and bilgewater that has spilled out into the marine environment.

The ship sits at an angle, broken in half, with the open end of the wreck at the top.

Back
Top Bottom