Newport Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Next summer my brother & I plan a day trip from NYC area up to Newport for a couple of shore dives. I've been to King's Beach and Queen's Bridge years ago and Ft. Wetherill a couple of times. Any advice as to other shore spots?--I assume on the Newport side of the bridges. Directions, parking, distance to entry, etc.--anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Next summer my brother & I plan a day trip from NYC area up to Newport for a couple of shore dives. I've been to King's Beach and Queen's Bridge years ago and Ft. Wetherill a couple of times. Any advice as to other shore spots?--I assume on the Newport side of the bridges. Directions, parking, distance to entry, etc.--anything would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The East passage at Fort Adams is an easy shore dive, lots of boat traffic however. If the weather is on your side Beavertail in Jamestown is a good dive but challenging entries and exits. At Ft. Wetherill there is West Cove and Bull Point both are rocky climbs. It's Green Bridge by the way. Unless you know of a Queen's Bridge in Newport that I don't.

Right--Green Bridge--it's been a while (2006). Fort Adams looks interesting--I read the current can be strong. Meaning slack tide is necessary to avoid it? I've looked at Beavertail--too old for that entry to be worth the work.
Thanks.

Are you just looking for shore or are you interested in boat dives as well

Are you just looking for shore or are you interested in boat dives as well
Just shore--it's a one day thing up from NYC and back.

Right--Green Bridge--it's been a while (2006). Fort Adams looks interesting--I read the current can be strong. Meaning slack tide is necessary to avoid it? I've looked at Beavertail--too old for that entry to be worth the work.
Thanks.

Yes slack tide at Fort Adams. Beavertail is a lot of work, it is a nice dive however. All along Ocean Drive there is access to the water. You'll see people from rocks fishing. Those same rocks can be an entry point for a dive. I dive those sites when I need more lead for casting bullets, tons of lead sinkers all over the place. The water is shallow but no boats and very little current. Ocean Drive is the road Kings Beach and Green Bridge are on. West's Cove at Ft. Wetherill is a steep hill and rocky entry. Bull point has a shorter but steeper hill with 1' dia. rocks to walk on. New England is a tough place to shore dive. It is a place where youth is required for most shore diving sites. Look at FTW it's mostly old geezers like me or student divers, because it's one of the few easy entry and exits sites in the area. One does not see the walking heart attacks diving sites like Beavertail or even old divers like me that are in fair shape for that matter, it's just too much. You might want to check Giant Strides charter schedule for diving the U853 Red has several charters per year to the sub. It is a unique diving experience and it is close enough to the Gulf Stream in the summer to attract unusual life for this area. Dolphins have been seen at the sub, as well as Mola-Molas.
The way things are going I'm expecting Great White sighting to start being reported at the sub soon. Evidently one was tracked at the seawalls off Pt. Judith this past summer, that's closer than the sub.

If we are talking charters I was going to recommend the pinnacle.

Ft. Adams would be my bet. However, a little longer trip puts you in Rockport, MA. There you will find arguably the best shore diving in New England. You have Folley Cove and Cathedral Rocks. But if Newport is the spot then I would go to Ft Adams. Here are some pictures to help you find the spot. I park at the red x and usually dive right at slack. I swim toward the bridge. About 30 minutes. Then the tide turns to outgoing and makes my drift back easy.

Careful you don't miss the exit or you will be one tired fellow trying to climb up the rocks instead of walking out the beach. I'd rather surface early than miss it.

20191206_104001.jpg

As you can see below I usually find the 40 to 60ft contour and run that. There are some old lobster pots with line you can follow for a sense of direction. Any thing further than 600 ft off shore really starts to drop. If you hit the 100ft mark you might want to head in a bit. The center of the channel is 190+ft. Which is only about 800 to 1000ft from shore.

Screenshot_20191206-104627_Boating HD.jpg

If we are talking charters I was going to recommend the pinnacle.

Which ones, the Block Island or Narraganset? Actually both are good dives. Red does the BI pinnacle but I don't think as often as the sub. If I has money to spend on charters I wouldn't be disappointed with either.

Are you still diving today? Where if a may ask?

@swimlikethefish if the OP thinks Beavertail is too much I don't think he'd be too pleased with Cathedral Rocks. The last time I dove there was about 8 years ago and it will be last.

Folly cove is better except for those rocks, the same size at Bull Point, Ft. Wetherill, ankle breakers. I dove Folly Cove that same day as Cathedral Rocks, it is better as there isn't many swells like Catheral Rocks, where two lovely young women, an instructor and DM helped the old geezer out of the surf at the table like rock where I was getting pounded.

Also the FT Adams dive, if you're so inclined try diving it at slack low or just before and swim south with the current for a short time towards Hammersmith Farm, spend the slack time there then catch the tide back to the exit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom