Newly certified!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eileen

Registered
Reaction score
I've just returned from the BVI's a certified diver. I did my classroom and pool here in New England. I want to thank you all for your encouragement. I hung in there and it was really worth it. Now I realize how much I hate the pool! I did a total of 8 dives and by the last two I had my bouancy down pat and felt totally comfortable.
I can't wait to dive again, but am a bit aprehensive about diving in the cold water. I am very sensitive to the cold and have been diagnosed with Raynaud's desease. I guess I'll just have to save my money for another warm weather vacation.

I also have poor circulation in hands and it is not uncommon
for them to be cold during the summer.

Wear good quality suits/gloves/hoods and you can dive
year round if you choose: i do. Otherwise, water is (relatively) warm during June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct

Eileen,
Congrats! Where did you stay in BVI? I'm curious since I am going there (Tortola) with a group in February.
:sunny:

My husband and I and another couple chartered a catamaran for a week. The captain was a dive instructor. It was a bit pricey, but worth it. Not something I could do often.
Now I'll be looking for low cost dive vacations!!
We started with beginner dive sites...Chritmas Cove, Sandy Split. I'll have to check my log book for the other sites. Each site was deeper and longer. The last site we visited was awesome... It was a shipwreck off of Salt Island. I think it was the "Rhone".

Hey Eileen -- congrats. And don't sell NE diving short until you try it. As GM says, with the right exposure protection, it's a blast (I live in Needham and dive mainly up on Cape Ann).

I have a hard time keeping my hands and feet warm. I don't know if it's Raynaud's Syndrome or what. For example, last week mowing the lawn my fingers went white and numb. It was 55f outside.

I thought I might be a warm water only diver because of this.That wouldn't be a good thing.I live in Rochester NY.

BUT,Last Saturday we dove in Lake Erie.The water temp was 54f.With 7mm wetsuit hood and gloves I was toasty. No problems with my fingers or feet(I added a pair of neoprene socks inside my booties).

Definately check it out! you might be fine.

Good Luck,Tavi

i know, nobody asked me - but we docs never miss a chance to show off - and no one ever listens to me anyway...

Raynaud's disease is basically a condition of extreme sensitivity of the small blood vessels of the hands and feet so when they are exposed to cold (among other stimuli) they go into vasospasm and contract strongly resulting in a lot of pain due to the temporary interruption of the blood supply. The best thing to do is to always keep the hands warm.

hope you can manage your diving OK
Cheers

I personally am always apprehensive about diving in cold water too.I've been hearing about those new-fangled wet-suit thingies that are supposed to keep a diver warm.That'll be great because I'm getting tired of diving naked.It's bad enough the waters cold but those straps chaff aswell...OUCH
LOL.
Cheers Big Ears,
The one and only,
Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom