Newly Certified OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Librarybarry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My son (13) and I just passed our SDI OW certification yesterday. He was definitely the impetus for spending time underwater, as, even though I swim, surf, and generally just love the ocean, I have always thought scuba would feel too confining--like I might feel stressed and panic. Only by trying it did I find nothing could be further from the truth: I LOVE being under the water, and I LOVE spending the time underwater with my kiddo! Plus, my ADHD mind loves the planning, risk assessment, constant monitoring of the situation/gauges/buddy location.

The quarry at which we were certified has a lot to offer to to continue working on skills--sunken boats/planes/helicopters, platforms, different fish varieties, depths up to 80ft (I know, only certified to 60 for now)--and I'm really looking forward to spending more of my life underwater. Dives in warm, clear salt water are definitely in our future!

If you lurk on this board wondering if you should take the plunge, the answer is an unqualified YES!

My son (13) and I just passed our SDI OW certification yesterday.
Nice. Congratulations. Good that you are doing this with your son.
He was definitely the impetus for spending time underwater, as, even though I swim, surf, and generally just love the ocean, I have always thought scuba would feel too confining--like I might feel stressed and panic. Only by trying it did I find nothing could be further from the truth:
This is actually a fairly common misconception. Understandable to some extent. But as you found out it can also feel very freeing.
The quarry at which we were certified has a lot to offer to to continue working on skills--sunken boats/planes/helicopters, platforms, different fish varieties, depths up to 80ft (I know, only certified to 60 for now)--and I'm really looking forward to spending more of my life underwater. Dives in warm, clear salt water are definitely in our future!
That's very good. Now that you have your cards, the key is to dive as often as possible to make those skills you learned really become second nature. You'll continue to learn as you do so.

Congrats! My son (23) getting certified was the impetus for me getting back into diving after a 20-something year break. We dove together in Aruba a couple weeks ago and I'm looking forward to more in the future. You and your son will have many years of diving together before he's off on his own.

Congrats! My son (23) getting certified was the impetus for me getting back into diving after a 20-something year break. We dove together in Aruba a couple weeks ago and I'm looking forward to more in the future. You and your son will have many years of diving together before he's off on his own.
Thanks. I'm hoping that we do!

Welcome to the club, plus you have a dive-buddy!

Congratulations! The OW cert. opens up a new world in a way most other cert.s don't. North Carolina is a big state, and you're not exactly coastal, but when you guys get some diving in and are ready, it's got some nice ocean diving.

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

Richard.
Thanks for this trip report, Richard. I've peruse a couple of your others and the information is fabulous. We head to the coast quite often and hope to do some of the in shore wrecks before too long. First step is more buoyancy practice at the quarry and getting comfortable planning the dives ourselves.

The time spent underwater with my sons had been among the best time of my whole life.
But of course also the time spent diving with their mother!

My son (13) and I just passed our SDI OW certification yesterday. He was definitely the impetus for spending time underwater, as, even though I swim, surf, and generally just love the ocean, I have always thought scuba would feel too confining--like I might feel stressed and panic......

Congratulations! My son and I got certified when he was 13 at his urging, and it has really been a great experience learning with him and diving with him. I know y'all will make some great memories.

Quarries are a great way to keep practicing skills, and are still fun to dive when you can't get to salt water. Diving quarries helped us get better at our buoyancy control and breathing rate, and we also usually practice at least one skill on each dive -- usually either sharing air or shooting a DSMB (we like the drift diving in SE Florida and Cozumel where you often shoot DSMBs, so it is nice to practice in a quarry with no current to get smoother at it).

You're not too far from Myrtle Beach, which has some somewhat decent diving also (not Caribbean, and sometimes not much better viz than a quarry, but still some interesting things to see and does get warm water temps). Also, Lake Jocassee, SC looks like an interesting, pretty clear lake dive that we've been thinking about doing.

Enjoy!

Congratulations! I can't wait to share the underwater world with my wife and daughter. It will certainly change vacations when the three of us all dive. I love reading stories of families diving together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom