Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottydog911

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm a newbie here and have been lurking around on the forums so thought I would register. I got my open water cert last summer and have plans to get my advanced open water this spring prior to heading to cozumel this summer. I certified at Lake Travis, Austin and am really looking forward to actually being able to see more then a few feet in front of me.

Cheers!

Welcome and congrats on the cert! SB is a great repository for info! Where in Cozumel will you be?

Welcome and congrats on the cert! SB is a great repository for info! Where in Cozumel will you be?
It looks like we'll be staying in the downtown area. Haven't really planned anything beyond airfare yet but looking over the dive ops pdf I found on another thread to try and pick a shop to go with.

Welcome. There are quite a range to choose from. If you want big, 120-cf steel tanks for more air or nitrox, that'll narrow your selection way on down. If not, 80-cf tanks seem standard, and a number of op.s can get 100-cf AL tanks (which have a rated fill pressure of 3,300 PSI, and are often filled to 3,000, so it's more like you're getting 90-cf rather than 80, but it's still a meaningful difference so just go with it).

Welcome. There are quite a range to choose from. If you want big, 120-cf steel tanks for more air or nitrox, that'll narrow your selection way on down. If not, 80-cf tanks seem standard, and a number of op.s can get 100-cf AL tanks (which have a rated fill pressure of 3,300 PSI, and are often filled to 3,000, so it's more like you're getting 90-cf rather than 80, but it's still a meaningful difference so just go with it).
I did notice the 100-cf tank option at many shops and was planning to at least get one for myself if not also the wife. I don't yet know the differences in our air usage but I can't imagine she's anywhere close to me. I may need to look into the 120cf tanks as well.

In some of the threads, there's a link to a nice document that compares the offerings of the various dive op.s. There are at least 3 op.s that do 120-cf steel tanks; Aldora is a multi-boat operator, and Living Underwater is smaller. Both are well-reviewed and have their fans.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom