Newbie stupid question of the day . . Take 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, one of my learnings from ITK (and there were many!), was communication.

Just when I didn't think I could suck more at communication in general, I find out that I suck the most at underwater communication.

Sooooo . . . does anyone have any vidoes or handy dandy placards that give the usual signals? The problem is everyone has their own language, but at least the standards I can try to learn.

You will be happy to know I did learn the top 6 in class:

SHARK (yep, was afraid even in my quarry that I'd see one),

OOA (cuz let's face it, I'm new and this is likely),

Air level (you know, that finger V on wrist thingy to ask what the other guy's air is -- since my male buddies seem to blow thru theirs quicker then I blow through mine)

The shaky hand thingy for indicating my ears won't clear (but have since learned they won't clear for at least 2 days after the dive --- but at least I can tell my buddy all about it underwater)

Thumbs down to indicate I'm finally ready to descend (apparently like a sand dart since I'm new and therefore seriously overweighted)

And last but not least:

Thumbs up to indicate I'm ok . . .oh wait, that's the circle finger thingy . . hmmm guess I haven't learned the top 6 . .

Any links or tips you can offer are always appreciated.

:D

Hi BettyRubble:

Try this for videos and this for stills.

How much gas. I learned hand opened and palm up and then with the opposite hand and index finger, point to the middle of the open hand's palm. There seem to be minor variations but the biggest thing is making sure that your buddies and you understand each other.

Thumbs up- ascend. This is not a discussion, a question, or anything else, it means up. When someone gives this, the proper response it thumbs up in return as acknowledgment and them movement.

Ok. Thumb and index form a circle and the last three fingers fan out. Okee dokee!

And finally, make sure your buddies can see your hand signals. I learned the hard way as a couple of weeks ago I was diving with a Lady who was fairly new to diving. We went over the hand signals so that we were on the same page and then went diving. Well, I flashed her a couple of hand signals and it seemed as if it took her a bit to get them and after I flashed them a couple of times, so when we got back to the surface naturally I was curious what the problem was.

One was that she normally wears glasses and didn't have them or anything else to see underwater so her eyeballs were unfortunately it. The second thing was me. While I do try to practice deliberate and crisp hand signals, she couldn't see them because I was wearing all black with black gloves. Well, to my defense I was wearing a lime green weightbelt (but she couldn't see it because I was of course horizontal but my stealthiness and her poor eyesight made it challenging for her to comprehend). It was a valuable lesson learned by both of us.

I hope this helps and good luck!

With kind regards,
Thomas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom