Newbie reg question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glotsalot

Reaction score
Presently, central Illinois...soon: New Jersey
Hope this isn't a stupid question...

I recently purchased a scubapro regulator set with octopus over the internet. Althought the primary reg came attached to the first stage, the octopus was not already attached.

My question: Do I need to have a dive shop attach the octopus or is it OK to attach it myself. Looks simple, but the manual doesn't say anything about attaching the octopus :1book: and since I have no experience, I thought I'd better ask the experts :wink:.

Thanks in advance!

-devin

no you dont need a shop to put it on. you need an allen wrench to remove the plug, and a small adj wrench to install the octo. just snug it up, you dont need to put 100 pounds of torque on it. if you feel comfortable doing it, do it. if you dont, get a shop to do it.

Most octos are set with cracking efforts that are fairly heavy and Scubapro specs call for octos to be set approx .4 to .8 inches higher than their primary counterparts depending on the second stage in question.

In most case this means an octo will work fine on just about any first stage that is operating in the normal 120 to 145 psi intermediate pressure range. But sometimes some adjustment is required if a slight to not so slight freeflow results due to the intermediate pressure of the first stage being too high for the second stage.

So..in most case you can do it yourself, but in some cases a tech may be required to make some adjustments to the octo.

I am assuming this is a new reg. If it is used, it is a good idea to have a tech from your local dive shop inspect it and flow test it. You would not believe the stuff I find wrong with regs that the seller swears were just serviced.

I just bought a used regulator that was a couple years old with only a few dives on it. Took it to the dive shop and had them bench test it and adjust. Everything was A-okay, they inspected and tweaked it, for only $20. Thats pretty cheap for a total confidence boost for your gear.

FYI, if you purchased your scubapro reg from Leisurepro, you're ok, because although they're not an authorized dealer, they have their own warranty. If you didn't purchase the reg from them, scubapro will not warranty the reg. They do not allow for any of their equipment to be shipped. It must be purchased, in store, from an authorized dealer.

Rick

Back
Top Bottom