Newbie RDX Housing and Port Questions for Canon t4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Entacmaea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone, newbie here excited to finally be getting my underwater photo gear together, and have settled on a Canon t4i and the RDX 650 housing. I'm going to start with the 60mm macro lens, and am wondering people's opinion of going with the standard port vs. getting the port base s and specific macro port 52 for it. I'll be getting the 100mm lens eventually I think, so will need the port base s eventually anyway, so cost is about the same all told. Port 52 route seems smaller, but adds another o-ring. Also, getting the standard port, I could use the kit 18-55mm lens in it as well, but I'm not sure if anyone really uses this lens much for underwater photography?

Also, can someone suggest the best fisheye port for the Tokina 10-17mm lens? There seem to be 3 available for the RDX housing (CX, NX, and Optical dome port), according to Sea and Sea's lens/port chart.

Thanks all- appreciate the help. This stuff is all so pricey, I want to buy right the first time.

Thanks, Peter

Last edited:
The standard port is limiting if you ever want to do both manual focus and zoom on the same lens. I haven't, so it isn't a big deal to me. If you plan to add lenses, you're better off with a port base that allows the various add-ons later. I've used both the fisheye and the compact dome for my 10-17 and can't tell a lot of difference in picture quality on the D300. The compact dome doesn't smash itself on rocks as much on high current dives, and is easier to pack, lighter and less buoyant. Right now I'm looking at alternatives such as the Zen 4" port and the Bare 4 3/4" port. The big dome will take the best edge to edge pics if everything is perfect, but is the hardest to light, as it's difficult to perfectly position your strobes to avoid flare and still get close enough for good lighting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom