newbie question..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddbr

Registered
Reaction score
This may have already been beaten to death here but, what is the cheapest digital camera/video camera out there? Basically, I was to take stills with the option to take video. Is that possible? I was looking at getting a housing for my 200 hi8 but they cost 30x what the camera is worth. Thanks for any input you could offer!

Your question is a loaded one and cannot be simply answered with a specific camera and housing. Some digital still cameras take video clips which are not the same as a video camera. Some video cameras take still photos. "Cheapest" can mean crappy pictures which is money wasted. You will have to first decide on the type camera you want to buy, still or video, then go from there. Housings often cost as much, or more, as the camera. If you buy an expensive housing that is camera model specific then the housing will likely be around much longer than the camera, especially if it floods. You can focus on the latest model which is only the latest for a few months, or you can stay behind the curve with an older model. You will have to do your own research and there is plenty of answers on this forum.
It sounds like you don't want to spend a lot of money. You don't have to and can still get a good camera.
Here is just one example if you decide on still digital:
You can get a refurbished Olympus C4000 (4 megapixel camera) online for around $320. and a new Olympus PT-010 housing (no longer mfg.) on eBay direct from a seller in Japan for $179. Add shipping to both. Refurbished does not necessarily mean overhauled. It can simply mean re-packaged after a customer brought it back due to buyers remorse. They have a 90 day warranty. You can spend a little more and find a refurbished Olympus C5050 and get the PT-015 housing. I'm sure there are similar deals with Canon cameras.

Yes...we've pretty much beaten the snot from this one! LOL

You should decide what you want as your primary recording device...video and still. Most digital still cameras have a movie function... some very good, some only adequate. I *assume* the same is true of video cameras and the ability to take still photos.

That said....the cheapest digital out there isn't worth having in my opinion. Not if you are talking about anything more than snapshots. If you'll search this forum or just scroll down through it's pages, you'll see tons of threads addressing the brands available, cameras and housings, what we use and like and why, etc. Way more information than will probably be repeated once again in this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom