Newbie question about my Olympus E-500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sammyman

Registered
Reaction score
I have an Olympus E-500, and wanted to know if I could get a case to take it underwater? I am taking a trip to the Philippines this year and will be certified by then to go scuba diving. I was hoping to be able to get some nice shots with my Olympus. If not I might buy a cheap setup (possibly disposable cameras) for the trip. Any advice welcome.

Ikelite makes a housing.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/e500olympus.html

But it will be expensive to go down the UW DSLR route. It will also be a big camera to try to dive with right after getting certified. Overall you could get a small point and shoot camera + housing + strobe for around the price of the E-500 housing alone.

Chris

Monkey Knife-fight:
It will also be a big camera to try to dive with right after getting certified.

Playing with a big, awkward camera while learning to dive (every dive is a new experience, in that regard) is tricky, and can be dangerous. If you're a quick study and in good health, I would recommend at least 6-7 open water dives before you drag a camera down; one of my dive leaders in Maui, noticing my own awkwardness, mentioned diving in the hundreds before tackling photography....

I have a little Canon (S410 Powershot) that I usually bring with me, but the Nikon D100 DSLR w/strobe didn't come with me until dive #14, and was nearly useless that day anyway (strobe malfunctions, gears for aperture stuck, focus ring slipped, focus point shifted and wouldn't reorient, etc.). If you're in a current or strong surge with that thing, forget it, it may ruin your dive.

My 2 psi. :coffee:

I'd recommend 100+ dives before even thinking about dealing with more than your own buoyancy and safety. dealing with cameras; P&S or otherwise requires excellent buoyancy and diving skills. Task loading yourself before being comfortable in the water can be very hazardous.

Jack

jackconnick:
I'd recommend 100+ dives before even thinking about dealing with more than your own buoyancy and safety. dealing with cameras; P&S or otherwise requires excellent buoyancy and diving skills. Task loading yourself before being comfortable in the water can be very hazardous.

Jack

What he said. It's multitasking to the nth power, and can make diving unfun, if not downright dangerous.
(Don't mean to be a buzzkill!)....

Welcome to the board.
Guess I will chime in with the rest, you have no idea just how much task loading a camera adds. You really must have your buoyancy and control dead on before it's a good idea to grab a camera. In addition, both you AND your buddy need better than average buddy skills. If you are counting on insta-buddies (someone you are not use to diving with) your skills become a lot more critical. I will not dive with a camera and a new buddy. This is not something you learn in class or in a few dives, it takes a lot hours of practice underwater to get to the level you really need to be at. If you want pictures, look around the dive boat, find someone what has a digital camera and offer to buy them dinner for a CD of theirs. Throw in a beer or two and maybe they will get a few shots of you. The pictures will be alot better, you will enjoy the dive more and everyone will be safer. I send CD's to people I meet on dive trips all the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom