Newbie Q - What is silocone grease?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
Sorry if this is so basic, but I'm trying to expiriment with some underwater videography so I purchased an old housing and a camcorder off ebay. The housing says to use silocone grease on the o-ring and controls. Is there a special grease to use or is this available just down at the local home depot?

What I purchased was an old aluminum housing by hypertech that is in real good shape and purchased an old Sony CCD-V9 camcorder off ebay to go in it. If it all works, it looks like a nice cheap setup to begin playing around. Plus if it floods, I won't have a heart attack right off!

If anyone has any other tips, I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks,
Tony

You can purchase silicone grease at any dive shop. It is specifically for use with silicone O rings. I highly doubt it is a Home Depot item. I am not familiar with your specific housing but they are all similar as respects O rings. My best advice to you is to take that housing diving empty to see if it leaks. Work all the controls several times. If that housing has not been used in a long time it may need all the O rings replaced or greased. One of the most common mistakes is to apply too much grease. Use only enough to make the O ring appear wet. If you don't know how to take it apart and do that then get someone who does. You only get one mistake if you flood it with the camera inside. :shades:

a much cheaper source for silicon grease is a restaraunt supply house - not that it really matters an oz of the stuff lasts a long time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom