Newbie Looking To Grow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SLATSY

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey guys new to forum and scuba diving had a quick look through some posts thought I'd chuck something up that's sort of been covered at times , just looking for new opinions .

I'm only a year into diving and about 50 dives , I've done my rescue course and entertaining doing a dm course overseas because it's cheaper and I want to become a better diver .

First cab off the rank I currently only done recreation diving and as I grow start to hate things in my setup and because I want to become a better diver I feel I will head down the technical road as well for self development. Things I hate at present , my bcd is bulky jacket style very comfy buT needs to go I think, my air consumption is useless , I require a lot of weight to sink , the strap on my fins keeps popping off and want to improve streamlining .

I'm still trying to determine the direction i will end up so not sure if each tech rig can be changed or if I have to buy one thing and force myself in that direction I enjoy wrecks , I want to get into longer deeper dives and generally improve my skill set and feel equipment may help with that .

1. I'm looking into a tec backplate and harness I don't know if I want to go to a double setup or if I should go down the side mount avenue , deff too poor for rebreather, I still enjoy single tank recreational dives but I suck air badly usually use 180-200 psi tank 12 l in about 20-30 minutes at less than 20-30m .

Can back plates be changed for diff setups I.e double side mount single or do you need one harness for each type.

Do harness chafe much, How adjustable are tec harness, are they easier or harder to get in and out off ,

I don't know much on tech brands but likes the look of the scuba pro x tec form harness not sure on the amount of lift I need as I weigh 100kg but read the 60 pound is too bulky and should be avoided.

I currently dive with a 5mm semi dry and my puffy bcd and me requires me to use 8 weights diving I think that equates to like 12kgs of ballast I'm hoping ditching the bcd will reduce that some what and improve streamlining , I always hated weight belts and my bcd runs integrated which I prefer is this an option with harness I.e weight pockets or am I better to just wear a belt

2. My fins work alright and cost me like $200, they have springs on them but the attachment point is **** and always twists off so thinking I might upgrade to a jet fin looks like hollis or scuba pro is the go to brand there thoughts?

3. If I ditch the pockets on my bcd, and go to a harness obviously spare torches and marker floats will need to be clipped to the harness , just wondering how to secure these items so they are streamlined yet still easily accessible .

4. At some stage I feel I should invest more into my reg and wondering apart of that what regs I should look at that don't cost $2k each esp if I end up side mount , and I get paranoid at times about running out of air because of my heavy consumption was entertaining getting into a pony bottle but wonder if sidemount is just as safe or better Just looks cumbersome and annoying to dive operators on rec dives

I'll leave it there as I go read some more articles but appreciate any early feedback from anyone with spare time ,

Cheers SLATSY

Single or double tank works with the same BP/W. Mine requires an adaptor for single tanks, other don't. You do need to swap out the wing going between doubles and singles.

Fins that pop off are obviously bad, the only time I've ever had that happen with any fin I was using grossly oversized fins.

Weight pouches are usable on the waist belt of a BP/W, I use them when diving a single tank, with doubles I use v weights and tail weights on the tanks.

You use clips and rubber bands for stuff that you want immediately accessible (like backup lights) and use exposure suit pockets for stuff you might need or will need at the end of the dive. Stuff in pockets get clipped off to bungies in the pocket. They are very secure if connected correctly.

There are a lot of good regs out there that don't cost a fortune. I don't do sidemount, so can't help you with any questions on that.

The first thing to do to help air consumption is to slow down.

Howdy and welcome from south Florida USA.........just dive dive dive......all good things come to those who dive.......

. . .
I'm only a year into diving and about 50 dives , I've done my rescue course and entertaining doing a dm course overseas because it's cheaper and I want to become a better diver . . . .

Take a look at the many threads in which people have expressed interest in becoming a better diver, and still more threads on the idea of using a DM course as a way to become a better diver. It may not be the best way to accomplish that. It's been discussed many many times, and there are lots of opinions on the best ways to improve one's diving ability.

Backplate and Wing, as mentioned above, is good for singles or doubles, with a different wing for each. Side mount uses a different harness typically, and is not suitable for back-mounted tanks.

Unless you're doing something unusual, harnesses don't chafe in my experience. Harnesses are usually adjusted based in part on what you're wearing, but you can keep a bit of extra length in it so you can expand it for a drysuit and tighten it if you're doing thin wetsuit diving.

Ease of getting in and out is probably arguable. You get the hang of it pretty quickly usually.

I would just buy a generic stainless steel or aluminum backplate and some 2-inch webbing and hardware and make it myself. You'll learn more about your gear that way and you can customize it to only what you need.

For wing sizes, it depends on what kind and how many tanks you are diving with. Typical singles wings are around 30 lbs of lift. Doubles wings usually go anywhere from 40 to 65lbs depending on how many stage tanks/deco bottles you have and some other factors. If you tech dive you'll likely have several wings (I have 3).

A backplate is around 6lbs so that will take care of some of the weight. You can add a cam band to your tanks or V/tail/trim weights, weight belt, weights on the waist belt, pretty much any configuration. Some people even wear separate harnesses under their BP/W that hold their weights.

The HOG Tech 2 fins are inexpensive and solid.

Typically, lights are clipped and bungeed to the shoulder straps and other things are either clipped off to a ring or put into a thigh or waist pocket. You have to add those.

I use HOG regs, but Dive Rite, Scuba Pro, Apeks, Atomics, and others are all commonly used regs for tech diving.

A pony bottle is usually easier to deal with than side mount from the simple fact that it's usually a much smaller tank, but they are used for two different purposes.

Before changing anything, get your breathing under control. While you may never become someone who can makes their air last forever, you can improve it a whole helluva lot. Purposely move slower in the water. Concentrate on breathing slow and deep. Clasp your hands or hug your arms to your self so you aren't tempted to use them except to check your gauges. If you really concentrate on this for 20 dives, you'll see a big difference. You'll likely be able to reduce some of your weight and you'll become a better diver.

Also, take your fins to your local dive shop and see if they can help fix the issue. If not, replace just the fins and sell your old ones.

Here's my 2 psi on SM.

If you are only looking to go sidemount to increase your bottom time. Do not.
As you do more dives your SAC rating will improve - generally SM is only used if you have a specific physical reason to use it (small overhead space or can't lift doubled tanks , these two come to mind pretty quick) - not just because you need more air.

Good replies so far thanks I have read that a lot of ppl that buy twin set ups regret going that direction instead of side mount as apparently they are pretty hard to push through the water and not good for wrecks either , yeah I'm looking to dive longer bottom times and head into deco diving hence the requirement for more air, at present I generally try to frog kick ,swim with arms crossed and controlled breathing , fitness is part of it , better technique and trying to not get excited either just need more dives. deff think my bcd is a huge problem so that's the first thing that's going, I imagine most of my diving will be backmount for the immidiate future so given you can swap between single and double by changing parts around (didn't know this was possible ) probably a good starting point . On a side note what's the difference between side mount and Twins as far as practicality and feel in the water , I've helped guys with side mount gear up and seems like a giant pain not sure how much the tanks get in your way while swimming as well

Sidemount is also good for people with limited shoulder mobility due to injury/surgery. I'd say that which is easier is somewhat situation dependent. If you're on a boat and in any kind of waves, I think it's easier to strap on a set of doubles and jump in. If you're doing a shore dive or on calm waters, might be a toss up. If you have to walk your tanks any significant distance to the water's edge, probably easier in side mount because you can take one at a time.

Not sure that it makes a huge difference between sidemount and backmount in the water, particularly when you're carrying 4 or more tanks plus maybe a scooter. It's basically a bit mess either way :).

SM on boats is kind of tricky at best. SM with 2 stages + deco is a train wreck if you are not streamlined. Taking 1 tank at a time means walking back and forth multiple times. Every SM setup will probably be at least a little different depending on the person using it and the conditions they dive. SM is usually not "strap in and go" until you get the system down just right and the muscle memory, it takes time and can be frustrating even with an instructor.

That said - I prefer SM over BM for doubles because:

I can reach and see my valves. I can add and remove tanks as needed underwater. SM forces horizontal trim. I can dive SM doubles without special equipment from dive shops - grab whatever tanks they have and go. I like being able to set my tanks up before hand and leave them by the water and then walk back with the rest of my gear on.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom