Newbie looking for some reads

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detox

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all, I"m new to it all in fact so new i'm taking swimming classes starting next week to get over my fear of water. I'm looking for certification eventually but for now getting to know how to swim is my focus. In the mean time I'm looking for either some good websites or books that will allow me to get to know the equipment, procedures, and vocabulary so that when the class finally comes I will be ready for SCUBA. Thanks for all your help this board rocks!

You may want to visit the Dive shop that is giving the class that you are taking. They will be able to supply the manual for the class. It is alway helpful to be able to read before the lectures. You also can find manuals from the different agencies very cheap on Ebay.

PADI the largest certifying organization in the world is well recognized for quality literature. Hop on down the local dive shop and pick up a copy of the open water manual. Read it from cover to cover!

The Encylopedia of Recreational Scuba Diving is book that covers a lot of information. Also, if you have a used bookstore in your area sometimes you can find older copies of Scuba books from PADI, NAUI or SSI that would give you a good head start. Also, feel free to post questions on this board. There are a lot of very knowledgable people willing to help out.

Scott

For heavy reading

NOAA Diving Manual
U.S. Navy Diving Manual, Revision 4
Diving Physiology in Plain English

The first two will cost you around $125 USD for the pair from Amazon.com. If you're really interested in them, I'd suggest checking a library for them.

For light reading

PADI/NAUI/SSI manuals
Doing it Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving.

If you're going to read Fundamentals, wait until after you read the instructional manuals because the book is written for people who already have diving experience. Fundamentals will also introduce you to the DIR ("Doing it Right") philosophy, which is somewhat controversial (read: mention it here and you're guaranteed to start a flame war between the opposing camps).

Good luck on the swimming lessons.

I echo AzAtty's post regarding the DIR-Fundamentals book. Great read.

For a by the numbers look at how not to dive, check out Deep Descent and The Last Dive. Great stories, incredible guts, tragic mistakes and accidents.

with the recommendations to read Deep Descent and The Last Dive. Both are compelling reads and, as a somewhat experienced diver toying with the idea of diving deeper, I would recommend these to any diver to read.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom