Newbie in Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boxturtle

Reaction score
Hi guys, I know posting things to more than one forum is usually discouraged but I also know introduction forums often don't get much traffic so here's my intro post. I hope I get to meet some of you in the future.

------

I'm a 32 year old computer programmer in Vancouver BC and can't for the life of me figure out why I haven't gotten into diving yet. When I was 17 I got my first job in the computer industry. I was working for a company in Victoria that produced a diving show for the Canadian discovery channel. It was called "Safari ocean adventures" and was jointly produced with the Royal BC museum, also in Victoria.

I haven't watched the tapes in years but it featured dives around the island and BC, I remember Race Rocks specifically but not much else. I ran the computer network in our market square office and maintained this new thing called a "website" using notepad and NSCA Mosaic. (this was in 1994) I put little screen grabs of each dive on the website the week it was airing and I used to get emails from divers all over the world who found the website and wanted to come dive with the guys on the show. Unfortunately the dive footage was recorded some time before through the museum and our company was mainly doing research on the locations and wrecks, writing it up as narration and putting it all together into a weekly show. Everyone in the office had been diving though and they were always going to "get around" to introducing me to it but they never did.

Fast forward about 16 years and now I'm working for a small engineering shop that designs transmitters for wildlife tracking tags, almost exclusively for marine animals and I'm suddenly desperate to get in the water I'm a skier/snowboarder, love kayaking and hiking, all the good BC stuff. I like to mess with 70s japanese motorcycles on the weekend, and that's about it. I'm looking forward to getting involved in the sport and especially meeting other divers in the Vancouver area. My poor credit card is still recovering from christmas but I'm planning to book my OW class in a few weeks.

Carl

Howdy! Welcome to the boards.

I'm a new-to-Vancouver diver myself, but not new to diving.. I can say that the diving around here is cold, but amazing! (I came from Alberta, where all the "local" diving was just as cold or colder, with less to see (but still pretty awesome))

Good luck with your open water, if you're outdoorsy and not afraid of getting a bit wet and cold, you'll love the diving around here.

Welcome Carl :D

You did right by posting your hello here as well. The local sub forum is a great place to meet others to dive with. We are pretty active and you would be more than welcome to post into any thread where a dive is being planned.

Funny you should mention wildlife tags. I was just thinking of a project for tagging sunstars (just ID tags, not electronic tracking) and was going to start researching what was available. Might have to bend your ear a bit :eyebrow:

Thanks for the welcome guys! From the digging around I've done so far it looks like a place called Ocean Quest is quite close to my house (drive by it on the way to work actually) so I'm thinking that would the best place for me to get started. I'll be back to pester you with newb questions once I get going. :wink:

DaleC, animals that spend their entire life underwater are the most difficult to track electronically because we can't transmit to the satellite from underwater. The shop I work at specializes in transmitters, so we only work on the guts of the package. Our partner down in Redmond, WA designs and assembles the final package to suit different animals. For animals like tuna that never surface they have something called a pop-up tag that clips to the animal with a short wire. It logs data (location, depth, temp etc) for however long you've set it up for then melts it's connection to the wire and floats to the surface to start transmitting.

More info here if you're curious. wildlifecomputers.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom