Newbie in Coz: Post Wilma status

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lilycat

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking the day off since my tummy wasn't in the mood this morning. Bicster and Riotnrrd are at the Cenotes -- I am feeling fine now, but at 5:30 I was a little green.

Diving is great here from the newbie perspective. We've been on three "twilight" dives for those who were concerned about "night" dives. :wink: We've been on swim throughs, too. (I know these were quality concerns at some point.)

We'll detail our dive schedule when we get home. Jorge at Blue Angel has been a wonderful dive master for Bicster, Riotnrrd, and I. You might ask for him if you come here. He explained that the currents are not as strong as before the hurricane. Some of the dives were pretty fast to us, so this might be considered an improvement.

If you can't get to Coz directly, then get to Cancun and come over. It really isn't as intimidating as it sounds.

We're staying in Caribe Blu and diving with Blue Angel. Its been great so far. The work all around the island is progressing at an amazing pace. It changes and improves in a significant way each day. There is no geologic time to the progress here...it is really as amazing as the reefs.

While we're enjoying all our individualized attention, everyone needs to come and help these guys out. The more people, the more jobs. The people here keep it low key and don't complain, but you know they need the economy back. I think their hard work should be rewarded, quite frankly. (I get the sense that some of the aid promised to those whose livlihoods were affected by the storm were empty promises. They need us to make things happen.)

Since arriving at the airport, I have not felt for a single moment like I was sold a bill of good about coming down here after Wilma. I was skeptical while back in the States, but you have to see this to believe it. In a single weekend I've seen a new palapa constructed over the dive shop and some serious back-breaking work being done to revamp the pool area. Some tvs arrived yesterday.

Of course, not everything is in one piece. You still have plenty of evidence that something big came through here, but it won't ruin your fun.

Our rooms are clean and comfy. Hot water isn't always available, but the plumbers are working on things as I write. I don't know when they'll have it back, but I bet it will be soon. I can manage a cold shower to be sitting here watching the ocean...or, better yet, diving in it tomorrow morning.

SIghtings: lots of octopus; quite a few toadfish (one splendid); groupers, nurse sharks, lots of turtles...some swimming, some in their houses, crabs, lobsters, eels, baracudas, and all those other tropical fish.

Great to hear about Cozumel, Lilycat. I'm headed there on Sunday (12/4) for a week of diving with AquaSafari on a REEF-sponsored trip. We'll be sure to check out "all those other tropical fish" as our group will be conducting relative abundance surveys of the fish populations the entire week. Save some splendid toadfish for us!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom