Newbie from the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone, I am a 56 year old newcomer to the world of Scuba. Passed my open water cert in 2019 and haven’t had any chance to gain anymore experience due to the pandemic. Hoping to continue my development in Thailand in 2022.

Good luck. Diving's not the challenge; travelling is!

Desperate to clear off to some wonderful location that's not northern Scotland, which to be fair is pretty nice albeit cold.

In the meantime it's worth hunting down some dive shop and go diving with them, even if it's in one of the quarries. You'll thank me for that advice as it'll make your diving in Thailand so much better (warm, blue, clear water vs. crappy, cold, poor visibility quarry). But hey, we don't go to quarries for fun, we go there to work at our skills.

Have fun.

Cheers for the heads up Wibble….

I need to get some practice first in clear water to improve my skills and confidence before plunging into quarries. That said, Scarpa flow is on my radar.

Take good care

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Dive right in, the water's fine!

I need to get some practice first in clear water to improve my skills and confidence before plunging into quarries. That said, Scarpa flow is on my radar.

Take good care
Welcome to the fantastic underwater world.

Scapa Flow Isn’t really for inexperienced divers. A lot of the diving up there is greater than 30m with mandatory deco stops. If you want to get experience I suggest you look at joining a club. Where about in the U.K. are you based?

I’m looking forward to going back to Thailand, as it’s warm relaxing diving. Hopefully in 2022.

Take good care
Was probably a bit too sarcy about the quarries. They’re great for practice. Some are more susceptible to silting than others.

But…. all diving is good practice and makes you better. Diving in challenging conditions is good experience for those times when things don’t go well.

Anyway, whilst UK inland dive sites can be a bit meh, our almost unlimited quantity of wrecks more than makes up for it. Look at diving in Swanage or Portland for some very accessible quality wrecks.

Hi everyone, I am a 56 year old newcomer to the world of Scuba. Passed my open water cert in 2019 and haven’t had any chance to gain anymore experience due to the pandemic. Hoping to continue my development in Thailand in 2022.
Welcome to ScubaBoard and congratulations on getting certified. Now the fun starts.

Welcome to the fantastic underwater world.

Scapa Flow Isn’t really for inexperienced divers. A lot of the diving up there is greater than 30m with mandatory deco stops. If you want to get experience I suggest you look at joining a club. Where about in the U.K. are you based?

I’m looking forward to going back to Thailand, as it’s warm relaxing diving. Hopefully in 2022.
I live in Lincoln but work in Saudi Arabia. I am in the process of applying to join the Lincoln & District Sub Aqua Club BSAC 109.

I live in Lincoln but work in Saudi Arabia.

The Red Sea is on your doorstep :eek:

I spent 11 years in KSA and did a lot of diving practically along the whole of the Red Sea coastline there from 1987 to 1997.

Oh and welcome to ScubaBoard :D

So Stoney Cove is your local dive pit. Some good stuff in there to train on. Vis can be patchy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom