Newbie from New England!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hypno-toad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all! I am a new-to-diving newbie from New England. I thought I'd introduce myself.

I have always loved the water. I was one of those kids often described as a fish. I would constantly be in a pool/ocean/lake, often enduring some massive sunburns on family vacations southwards. I was a lifeguards worst enemy - the last kid out of the water. I would be wrinkled, white, and cold but I'd still be just as happy swimming around as anything. As an adult, time and money weeded out swimming and water for my other passion, horses. If I wasn't in the water, I was on a horse.

With a back injury preventing me from riding (and my horse nearing retirement anyway), I was coerced into trying scuba from a friend at work who is a divemaster and fellow equestrian who understood my psychotic need to dump obscene amounts of my limited time and money into a sport. (Actually the story went more like this: After seeing photos from a recent dive, I told said friend he was crazy for diving in the winter in New England [in a wetsuit none the less]. He said I should try diving to see what it's all about so I wouldn't call him crazy anymore and I said, "fine I will" because I am four years old like that.) I got myself down to the dive shop and before I knew it, I owned a mask, fins, boots, snorkel, and enrollment in an open water class.

I just finished my final exams and confined water dives yesterday. (Talk about being a newbie!) I have my open water dives in the middle to end of May, depending on our weather and water temps up here in the balmy Northeast.

I am having such a blast. I found each skill surprisingly easy to do. I think years of maintaining composure and control when a 1700lb horse is trying to kill you helps in reducing panic. I just relaxed and did what I was taught to do. It was great. I did well on the exams and the pool time was awesome. I tried to let myself get bored with the pool because I can't wait to get out in open water. I spent every moment I could drilling the skills into my head and I got really, really comfortable with them. I am excited to put them to use.

I am looking for some advice. I will be buying my own gear as the financial situation will allow. I own the basics, but will still need a wetsuit/BCD/regulator/tank/computer. I am wondering what would you invest in first? My dive shop has really quality rental gear (I did my dives in an Aqualung PRO LT with a Titan regulator) at really great prices, so I have no worries renting gear from them, but each dollar I spend renting gear is a dollar I could be putting towards my own. What would you like to have first if you were me? What would make diving more enjoyable?

I appreciate any tips, support, or information you have to offer. I may be a newbie, but I am already loving it and having a blast! I hope to see some of you in the water!

Question LDS and others don't ask is "How many dives a year are you going to do and where, what type and how advanced do you want to go?

If you don't live close to diving sites many people only dive on vacation and only dive 10 to 20 dives a year. If that is the case I would just rent. If you own it will deteriorate and you will have to service it even if you are not using it. Seals dry out etc.

You can get a lot of excellent used gear and save thousands. Many people buy a whole new set up when they get trained and then never really dive much and the sell it online. If you get a good deal on used gear, try it out for a while and if you don't like it, just turn around and sell it. You most likely will break even. If you buy new and don't like it, you will take a 50% hit on what you paid for it. Most of my gear is used but excellent brands and quality. Dive equipment is quite tough and can last for many years. I have Agua Lung Legend Regs, Oceanic computer,Zeagle ranger bc,and DUI dry suit all used but work perfectly. I saved thousands. When buying used always buy good brands that you can get serviced easily. Make sure they are less than a few years old.

If you buy new look online you can save a lot of money. If you buy from a LDS go to several because each just push there own brands. Get lots of different opinions.

For regs you want balanced, check out the specs because you want it to draw nicely at depth, and I like adjustable, For bc'c get a back inflate (much better trim when your diving) the Zeagle ranger is great because it is so adjustable with lots of great features but if your diving tropical you would want a smaller bc.

If you plan on diving 80+ dives a year and plan more advanced training (DIR), Cave, you will want to get gear that meets those parameters. BP/W, etc. Welcome | Global Underwater Explorers

I don't have a BP/W but they are supposed to have the best trim and configuration flexibility than any other set up. They hug your body so there is no sloughing from side to side, forward/back. The most advanced divers use them so they must know something.

In order of purchase: 1. exposure protection wetsuit/drysuit (because you know it fits and is comfortable and warm), 2. bc (fit, knowledge of your own gear) 3. regulator (you can get great used regs, they are tuff and last for years) 4. computer (wrist or console, I like my Pro II Oceanic, you can by them used) 5. tanks ( if your not going to dive much don't buy them) If you're only going to dive AL 80s don't buy them because it is cheaper to rent and you don't have to maintain them and haul them around, but if you're going to buy tanks buy steel hp or lp. (better buoyancy, more air)

This Scubaboard is great for advice on equipment. Lots of opinions and lots of variety of diving.

Thank you. That was very helpful. Luckily I live within minutes of many many dive sites and I do plan on diving often. I'm even interested in taking the drysuit diver couse and getting into winter diving. I've been browsing around looking at used gear and there are plenty of great deals. It's a bit overwhelming at first. I love the BCD I dove in for my classes, but I want to try out a few before I decide.

It's nice to know there are people willing to help out a newbie! :D

Hi Hypno-toad,

Just want to say welcome aboard.

Scuba board is one of the places where you realize that good people do exist! :)

Welcome aboard. Where in New England are you. I'm in CT, and get out at least twice a week at different beach entries.

Thank you guys. I've already been blown away by the support and welcoming nature of divers. As an equestrian, I know that some sports can be rather cold and unforgiving to newbies, but I feel totally comfortable already. It's wonderful!

I live in northern MA, Cape Ann area. I am just a few minutes from the water, it's great. We have a TON of great dive sites locally and we are really close to many more with just a short drive. It may be cold up here, but it is great for diving!

Back
Top Bottom