Newbie diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I have been in and on the water my entire life, but never under it. Every time I thought about looking into diving, I was put off by some diver dude looking down his nose at me. Well, now that I am older, and a little better off, I am finally going for it. A friend of mine was certified a few years ago, and talked me into a diving vacation in the Caymans. My Wife and I vacation with this couple a few times a year, and picked the Caymans as this years destination. I am enrolled in training this coming weekend, and plan to do the check out dives in the Caymans.
I do have a couple questions, since I have never been diving, or to the Caymans.
1) Is there a prefered training org ? PADI, or SSI ?
2) is there a particular destination on any of the Camens that would be good for diving AND civilian activities ? Our Wives don't dive, so it would be nice to be close enough to something entertaining for them while we are out diving.

Thanks
Really excited about learning to dive.

Welcome.
I only have experience with padi and ssi. And they are both good, just look for a good instructor. A lot of people on this forum will criticize padi but I have found them to be very good. There is a number of other agencies as well but I have no experience with them and will leave them to someone else to recommend.

Welcome. :cheers:

As mentioned, the instructor selection is more important than the agency.

You will probably love the Cayman Islands, we do. I suggest staying on 7 Mile beach so the ladies can enjoy the beach while y'all are diving. Also, it's close enough to Georgetown for them to easily go shopping. Do some shore dives at Sunset House and take them with you. They can hang at My Bar while you're blowing bubbles and then all of you can enjoy the views and food afterward. Then, head up to Macabuca at Turtle reef. They will enjoy that too, I think.

Thanks.
I am Training with Madison Scuba. Seem like thhey are qualified, and knowledgeable. I will report on my personal experience next week.
As far as where to stay in the Caymans, does any one have input on staying at a "non diving" resort, and booking dives with a dive shop ? Do the resort specific places provide better service, or is it about the same.
Never been to Caymans, so I am just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

Most basic scuba training is the same. Talk to the instructor and be sure you are comfortable. Then enjoy your diving. I have been diving for nearly 30 years and even though I have done some aggressive dives, I still love a dive at 20 feet, cruising the reef looking at the pretty fishes. So, don't be in a hurry to get certifications and to push the limits. Just enjoy & welcome to one of the best ways to spend your time.

Back
Top Bottom