Newbie Diver Wants Some Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ijtalbot

New
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I've been looking through the forums forever and finally joined to ask a question.

I attend the Air Force Academy in Colorado and want to start making plans early for spring break in 2010. I'd like to fly into San Jose, CR and take the bus to Manuel Antonio. I'd like to stay at La Posada. I'll be going with my girlfriend and a couple other friends from the Academy.

Basically we all want to SCUBA for a week straight. Unfortunately we have not been able to find much online or in these forums about SCUBA in MA.
So we have some questions:
How is the diving in March in Manuel Antonio?
What is the general visibility?
We want to spend more than half the time shore diving with our own gear. Is the shore diving good?
What can we expect to see (in and out of the water)?
What will it cost us to rent tanks for the week?
What were your experiences in MA or at La Posada?

We've all been on a number of dives before.

Any answers you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
-Ian

ijtalbot,

those are our collegues down there in Manuel Antonio: Costa Rica Scuba Diving with Oceans Unlimited Costa Rica

We recommend Oceans Unlimited because we never heard complaints about them from their customers.

(This not neccesseraly means that we heard complaints about the other dive shops in Manuel Antonio.)

Best regards

Chris Karrer

Hey there everyone! I've been looking through the forums forever and finally joined to ask a question.

I attend the Air Force Academy in Colorado and want to start making plans early for spring break in 2010. I'd like to fly into San Jose, CR and take the bus to Manuel Antonio. I'd like to stay at La Posada. I'll be going with my girlfriend and a couple other friends from the Academy.

Basically we all want to SCUBA for a week straight. Unfortunately we have not been able to find much online or in these forums about SCUBA in MA.
So we have some questions:
How is the diving in March in Manuel Antonio?
What is the general visibility?
We want to spend more than half the time shore diving with our own gear. Is the shore diving good?
What can we expect to see (in and out of the water)?
What will it cost us to rent tanks for the week?
What were your experiences in MA or at La Posada?

We've all been on a number of dives before.

Any answers you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
-Ian

Why are you looking at Costa Rica? As a newbie diver, it just seems a bit off the track for a first dive trip.
With a group like you have, you might could get a nice package deal to a more mainstream location with great diving. :D
Check out some of the DIVE travel websites to get some ideas.
Caradonna Dive Adventures - Dive Travel and Vacations
Bay Adventures :: Dive Adventures and Island Vacations :: 888.599.3483
Island Dreams Travel scuba diving vacations, cozumel scuba diving, dive travel, dive resorts, diving trips

If you want to relax and shore dive, go to Bonaire!

Also, being in Colorado Springs (where we lived for 7 yrs until my hubby retired from AF), I know you can get great flights out of Denver to places like Cozumel for very cheap. Just a thought. Also, you have a great dive shop that can arrange a great trip for you, Underwater Connection.

robin:D

I feel silly having said that I am a newbie. I meant a newbie to the CR diving area. We've gone diving in Florida and California and Grand Cayman. That said, we looked into Bonaire but can find flights into CR for $200 less. We really just want to find a nice place to relax for a week without having to deal so much with the crowded cities and tourist crap.
We did look at Cozumel (which was, as you said, very cheap) but spring break + Cozumel isn't quite where these college students want to be. Wouldn't be bad I don't think... just not quite what we're looking for (it's a backup though).
Underwater Connection is a great shop. Their trips are a bit out of our budget. We have flights arranged for $360 and would only have to pay ~$200 apiece for a week in a hotel. Factor in some tank rentals, a few boat dives, food, etc, and we're looking at spending <$1,000 on a week-long trip to Costa Rica.

As for Manuel Antonio dive shops. Is it just Unlimited and Rich Coast Diving?
Staying right next to the MA National Park, I think Unlimited is a bit too far out of reach for just renting a tank for shore dives. Unfortunately, I cannot find where the RCD shop is. Is there a shop that is closer to where I am staying so I won't have the inconvenience of going across town or to Quepos just to get some tanks?

ijtalbot,

Costa Rica is a great location, not only for Diving, also for 1000 other things where you can have a lot of fun.

Shorediving is virtually impossible here in Costa Rica because of the strong swell/waves and the torbid water because of that.

Yes, Ocean Unlimited ist the now the only Dive Shop in Quepos/Manuel Antonio.

No, Rich Coast Diving is in Playas del Coco, Guanacaste and not in Manuel Antonio.

Best regards

Chris Karrer

I feel silly having said that I am a newbie. I meant a newbie to the CR diving area. We've gone diving in Florida and California and Grand Cayman. That said, we looked into Bonaire but can find flights into CR for $200 less. We really just want to find a nice place to relax for a week without having to deal so much with the crowded cities and tourist crap.
We did look at Cozumel (which was, as you said, very cheap) but spring break + Cozumel isn't quite where these college students want to be. Wouldn't be bad I don't think... just not quite what we're looking for (it's a backup though).
Underwater Connection is a great shop. Their trips are a bit out of our budget. We have flights arranged for $360 and would only have to pay ~$200 apiece for a week in a hotel. Factor in some tank rentals, a few boat dives, food, etc, and we're looking at spending <$1,000 on a week-long trip to Costa Rica.

As for Manuel Antonio dive shops. Is it just Unlimited and Rich Coast Diving?
Staying right next to the MA National Park, I think Unlimited is a bit too far out of reach for just renting a tank for shore dives. Unfortunately, I cannot find where the RCD shop is. Is there a shop that is closer to where I am staying so I won't have the inconvenience of going across town or to Quepos just to get some tanks?

Yes, the airfare to Bonaire isn't cheap, but it is far from touristy. In fact there is no one on the island except divers and snorkelers or the workers at various hotels/dive shops. Seriously, take a look at it.
Info Bonaire - The Bonaire Information Site - The Most Current and Up-To-Date Information
Bonaire WebCams - The Works - All the WebCams and Weather and UW Temperature on One Page!
And the best thing is that the diving is far above diving anywhere else in Caribbean, and most of it is reachable from shore! It is the shore diving capital of the world for a reason. There are lots of little cheap hotels, too.
Check out the Forum here on ScubaBoard, under Caribbean - ABC Islands, and you will get alot of info about Bonaire. Also, I have some videos from my trip to Bonaire in 2007, see link under my signature.

robin:D

Hi Itjalbot, Oceans UNlimited is around 10 minutes from La POsada and can pick you up from your location. THe dive trips are all based around the national prak where we have around 15 different dive spots that we change depending on experience of the group, conditions etc. Shore diving is not available in the area due to the surfing on the beach which does not make an easy entry, plus the probably then 30 minute swim to the better reefs of the park.
If you want anymore info please contact us
Costa Rica Scuba Diving with Oceans Unlimited Costa Rica

Enjoy your trip to CR. I can't believe you ask question about your plans and some people immediately want you to go somewhere else. I have no experience with CR but look forward to diving there myself someday. Bonaire is okay but stick to your plans. Hopefully this won't be your last vacation and there are plenty of places to visit on future trips.
Best of luck with your trip and your studies at the Academy. Thanks for your future service to America.

Back
Top Bottom