Newbie Caver: advice on helmet & lights please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Palawan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!
After a few years where diving has become a real passion (obsession, addiction!) I am soon to take a month off work to do my first two cave courses in Mexico.

I have all my gear except for two crucial items:

helmet: I have a BIG head (61cm without hood), does anyone know of any brand that can cater to this size? My previous one was self made from a skateboard helmet, but not having spares and being bad quality it del apart after a few seasons. Any suggestions?

lights: I am after compact, lightweight lights to clip to the sides of my helmet. These are meant to help me see, train etc and not primarily for video

Thank you in advance !!
M

I'm sure that with helmet mounted lights, you will be your instructor's most favorite student:mad:. The next disadvantage is you will find that the light reflects off every particulate in the water right back to your eyes. Rolling, jerking your head from side to side, or vertically shaking it to give line signals is also suboptimal. Helmet mounted lights do have a place in cavediving, usually solo exploration, but they are not the way to go while you are under an instructor's supervision.
Don't take my word for it, ask your instructor and do what he/she says.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom