Newbie Buying Pistol Grip Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nalu

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a pistol grip style light. I need something under $100 for occasional night diving and to use to look under rocks etc in the day. Any recommendations?

After searching around on the internet a bit I am between two models:

Princeton Tec Miniwave Two (C4)

Underwater Kinetics Sunlight (C4)

Has anyone used these? Thanks :bounce:

Get a larger 8 cell light like the Princeton Tec Shockwave - for daylight diving you'll want a light that will cut through the contrast. Much more useful.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Get a larger 8 cell light like the Princeton Tec Shockwave - for daylight diving you'll want a light that will cut through the contrast. Much more useful.

All of the Princeton Tec lights I've owned (mostly headlamps) have flooded on me at one point or another. I agree on the 8 C cell lights.. the UK Sunlight C8 is a nice one. It has two bulbs built into it so with a flick of a switch you can switch bulbs should one fail during a dive, which is a feature I love.

Also be sure you pick up a smaller backup light if you're going to be doing any night dives. Leisurepro sells some nice light packages like the one here.

I highly recommend the UK products. I have a Sunlight D4 and have absolutely nothing but good things to say. I think they are about $40 on leisure pro. The D8 is a little more, but well under $100. The nice thing is that if in the future you want to go the rechargable route they sell the kits to convert them, and UK says that there a 3x increase in brightness over regular throw away batteries. I just ordered their Q40 as a backup as my cheap old trusty/crusty backup light is about to die.

UK all the way!!!

I have the Princeton Tec Shockwave II - great light, have not had any flooding incidents yet. I've taken it down below 110' without problems so far. It's got dual wattage setting - 7.5w or 15w at the flick of a switch. Great for both daytime or night diving. Reasonably priced too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom