Newbie buying his first gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is probably way too early to think about diving in "double tank" set up and what is known as "technical diving" at this point in your diving career. You don't have any, and I mean "any," background or the experience for it at this point at all. It may sound sexy and you get talked into it now when you are barely starting but this still too early and your interest may change once you get started. I often hear new divers talk about doing this and that and going deep but it usually ends up just a fantasy. You will need LOTS of training and experience accompanied with incredible sums of money to pay for the equipment, training and costs for the diving along the way to gain the experience and competence to qualify to do it all. You also must not to forget about the substantial time and effort commitment you have to devote to the activity to reach such lofty goals. You also must have the proper attitude and discipline to engage in more advanced and complex diving activities that can only be developed by experience and training.

At this point in your diving career you should concentrate on getting better in your basic and essential diving skills and actually enjoying diving and understanding the different types of diving all while gaining more experience in the various diving specialties. You should get your recreational diving equipment kit now and dive and dive and enjoy them all. You should concentrate on getting comfortable in performing all of the basic diving skills you learned in your entry level course and mastering them and able to do all of them without any stress with a smile on your face easily and without any hesitation in fluid and smooth manner. You will also have to go lots of proper training starting with an advanced course, rescue and other specialties (I recommend these specialties for diving in the Mediterranean: Nitrox, Night diving, Deep, Wreck, Navigation, S&R and drysuit).

As for equipment, you are going to start with the proper recreational diving setup that takes into consideration the type and frequency of diving you will be doing in recreational diving. It will take a lot of money to acquire all of the quality and proper dive equipment you need in recreational diving. Once you are ready to get into technical diving and have acquired the skills, experience and mental attitude for tech. diving and start your training for technical diving (assuming that you still want to dive and/or actually get into technical diving), you will spend tens more money at an accelerated rate to buy whole new kit for technical diving and for the required training and not to forget the costs for gases and logistics of going technical diving. It is a myth to think and believe that you will be using the same kit for recreational and technical diving. You will end up with one side of your equipment storage locker for recreational diving and the opposite side for technical diving kit (mine right is recreational and left for technical diving and the two don't mix). You buy what you need now for recreational diving including the BC and not worry about what you need for technical diving now for you will have to buy a different kit later in the future (distant future).

Don't be mislead by crowds that talk you and push you into doing things that you clearly aren't ready or qualified for at this point and you may not be able to afford financially or time wise. You gain the experience and improve your skills while getting closer to your goals but enjoy the trip and getting there. There is a very high chance that you won't do any of this and just fade away from diving and get busy with other things in life so enjoy it now while you can.

If i were you (and i basically was a year ago or so), i would go looking for some good used gear for a good price, have it serviced (make sure your shop can service the stuff youre looking at, and the prices are right), and go diving. Lots and lots of diving. Last summer I found an older set of scuba pro regs for less than $100, a cheap bcd in like new condition for $80, couple used wetsuits in near perfect condition for $150 each. Ex-rental boots, gloves and hood in excellent condition from the lds for $20 each. Luxfer al80s for $100 each or less. Mask and fins on special from my lds. Total cost about $1200.

Last winter i upgraded to a brand new set of scubapro regs at a smokin deal, and bought a nice used reagle ranger with 30 lbs of shot in the weight bags for $350. Keep in mind that these are prices in nova scotia, canada. Likely cheaper in areas with lots of population and lots of diving going on. Kept my old bcd and reg set and had them serviced for use as backups along with some other extras, as i regularly drive a couple hours to a dive site and would hate for something simple to ruin my day of diving.

Now im well set up for “normal” rec diving around where i live for about $2000, and have a decent set of gear to take travelling if thats ever allowed again lol. And easy to upgrade if/when i want or need to...

You’re not stupid. :D
I didn't say I am stupid :p
It is probably way too early to think about diving in "double tank" set up and what is known as "technical diving" at this point in your diving career. You don't have any, and I mean "any," background or the experience for it at this point at all. It may sound sexy and you get talked into it now when you are barely starting but this still too early and your interest may change once you get started. I often hear new divers talk about doing this and that and going deep but it usually ends up just a fantasy. You will need LOTS of training and experience accompanied with incredible sums of money to pay for the equipment, training and costs for the diving along the way to gain the experience and competence to qualify to do it all. You also must not to forget about the substantial time and effort commitment you have to devote to the activity to reach such lofty goals. You also must have the proper attitude and discipline to engage in more advanced and complex diving activities that can only be developed by experience and training.

At this point in your diving career you should concentrate on getting better in your basic and essential diving skills and actually enjoying diving and understanding the different types of diving all while gaining more experience in the various diving specialties. You should get your recreational diving equipment kit now and dive and dive and enjoy them all. You should concentrate on getting comfortable in performing all of the basic diving skills you learned in your entry level course and mastering them and able to do all of them without any stress with a smile on your face easily and without any hesitation in fluid and smooth manner. You will also have to go lots of proper training starting with an advanced course, rescue and other specialties (I recommend these specialties for diving in the Mediterranean: Nitrox, Night diving, Deep, Wreck, Navigation, S&R and drysuit).

As for equipment, you are going to start with the proper recreational diving setup that takes into consideration the type and frequency of diving you will be doing in recreational diving. It will take a lot of money to acquire all of the quality and proper dive equipment you need in recreational diving. Once you are ready to get into technical diving and have acquired the skills, experience and mental attitude for tech. diving and start your training for technical diving (assuming that you still want to dive and/or actually get into technical diving), you will spend tens more money at an accelerated rate to buy whole new kit for technical diving and for the required training and not to forget the costs for gases and logistics of going technical diving. It is a myth to think and believe that you will be using the same kit for recreational and technical diving. You will end up with one side of your equipment storage locker for recreational diving and the opposite side for technical diving kit (mine right is recreational and left for technical diving and the two don't mix). You buy what you need now for recreational diving including the BC and not worry about what you need for technical diving now for you will have to buy a different kit later in the future (distant future).

Don't be mislead by crowds that talk you and push you into doing things that you clearly aren't ready or qualified for at this point and you may not be able to afford financially or time wise. You gain the experience and improve your skills while getting closer to your goals but enjoy the trip and getting there. There is a very high chance that you won't do any of this and just fade away from diving and get busy with other things in life so enjoy it now while you can.

I know is too early. I didn't say that next year I 'm going for tec but that is a long term plan which I do not know if I will be able to make. Because diving is expensive
"hobbie" I am trying to keep it relatively low, of course no compromise on gear or safety. I know that diving is a no joke and I m not planning to leave my gf with our cats alone! :D

If i were you (and i basically was a year ago or so), i would go looking for some good used gear for a good price, have it serviced (make sure your shop can service the stuff youre looking at, and the prices are right), and go diving. Lots and lots of diving. Last summer I found an older set of scuba pro regs for less than $100, a cheap bcd in like new condition for $80, couple used wetsuits in near perfect condition for $150 each. Ex-rental boots, gloves and hood in excellent condition from the lds for $20 each. Luxfer al80s for $100 each or less. Mask and fins on special from my lds. Total cost about $1200.

Last winter i upgraded to a brand new set of scubapro regs at a smokin deal, and bought a nice used reagle ranger with 30 lbs of shot in the weight bags for $350. Keep in mind that these are prices in nova scotia, canada. Likely cheaper in areas with lots of population and lots of diving going on. Kept my old bcd and reg set and had them serviced for use as backups along with some other extras, as i regularly drive a couple hours to a dive site and would hate for something simple to ruin my day of diving.

Now im well set up for “normal” rec diving around where i live for about $2000, and have a decent set of gear to take travelling if thats ever allowed again lol. And easy to upgrade if/when i want or need to...

Not the best for my wallet but I kinda hate buying used stuff. I prefer to wait a bit more but having it brand new than getting a used one.

apeks regs (atx40/ds4 on budget end or xtx50/dst for buy once cry once)

tecline/dtd/xdeep bpw

gidivestore and 4thelement diving uk for sourcing if you haven't checked them out yet

A bit late reply but I think my goal for the winter is to buy the following gear:
  1. Suunto D5 ( I want Garmin MK2i because I'm garmin fan and a bit of a nerd). I know i can find better DC but I like that one :D
  2. XTX50 with DST/DS4. The difference is the rotating part on the DST.
  3. Custom made wetsuit.
  4. Scuba Pro BCD. Not 100% yet if i will go for BCD or BP/W, but the strap for the tank that I used in the last BCD of Scuba Pro was the easiest one so I will go with that one.
  5. Fins no idea yet
Thanks everyone for the answers.
The goal now is to take firstly the perfect buoyancy and nitrox courses because I'm going on a trip in November and I want to enjoy it!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom