Newbie again, Ebay purchases and warranty!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1011ster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi again, and here with a new question.
Going through eBay, I have found some really great deals on brand new Mares equipment from online eBay stores in Europe. Getting ready to shell out some large amounts of Euros, I have been going through this forum and getting quite confused on warranty, service and "authorized dealers". Assuming I buy a brand new item (in box with all documentation and warranty card), and having a receipt from them at hand, would there be any warranty issues? I understand that the yearly services have to be performed by the local Greek Mares dealer, but my question is whether the warranty would be valid in case something breaks. Mind you, these online stores say that each item comes with a complete manufacturers warranty, and they even undertake servicing for me if I wish it. Should I go ahead and do it? All I am asking is the warranty issue for a new Mares item bought online.Would the local Mares dealer give me problems for regular servicing?
Thanks again
1011ster:confused:

You have a couple of questions here:
Whether a local dealer is willing to perform annual service on your reg is their own business decision. Most will do so because they will charge you for labor and parts and hope to gain you as a customer for additional purchases. Your service can be performed by any Authorized Mares dealer.

If the place you purchase it from is an Authorized Mares Dealer you will have no issues should you need to make a warranty claim. A local dealer may assist you in addressing the problem or help you get service from the local Mares Distributor should it be required.

Our reccomendation is that you purchase from an Authorized Mares Dealer.

Phil

Thanks Phil for your input. I checked out the e-store and they are indeed an authorized Mares Dealer so there should be no problems. So, as far as warranty claims go, I guess that's settled. Still though it doesn't answer my question whether an e-shop that sells brand new boxed Mares equipment and is not an authorized dealer may create a warranty issue for the buyer.
As far as regular servicing, as I said it will of course be performed by my local Mares Dealer. It is suprizing though to hear from you that it's up to them to decide if they wish to perform it or not. Isn't it part of their responsibility for carrying the Mares brand? Have there been cases where a dealer refused to service a part because it was not purchased from them?
Thanks again
1011ster

1011ster,

I'm not trying to speak for Phil (or put words in his mouth) but let me try to answer one of your questions another way...

SCUBA shops are owned by private individuals and they decide what brands they want to carry / service. It is up to them to decide if they want to service your gear, even if they are an authorized dealer for the brand of equipment you own.

As Phil has previously mentioned, most will work with you in the hopes of future sales / service work but anyone can have a bad day or decide they don't like you (for whatever reason). No one is saying that this is going to happen but since the shops are private, it is a possibility.

I hope this helps to clarify things. If not, don't blame Phil. ;-)

Regards,
Ltstanfo

If I'm reading this thread correctly.....

It seems to me that if I buy a certain name brand product it should be manditory for ANY shop also selling that same brand to work on it without prejudice of where I made the initial purchase.

If I were the manufacturer I would make that a policy. < That's a period, kinda like what it seems like some shop owners are on.

Ltstanfo is correct. We would like every authorized dealer to service your Mares product. But they are private business and we cannot force them to do anything. Every business owner must make his own decisions.

Phil

bvmjethead:
If I'm reading this thread correctly.....

It seems to me that if I buy a certain name brand product it should be manditory for ANY shop also selling that same brand to work on it without prejudice of where I made the initial purchase.

If I were the manufacturer I would make that a policy. < That's a period, kinda like what it seems like some shop owners are on.

I agree. Every shop determines which lines they want to carry and we as a company decide who we want to represent our brand. This is the free market. Partnerships are evaluated all the time when conditions change.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom